1981 gs650gt and a 1983 gs650 gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs650gt and a 1983 gs650 gl

i own a 1983 gs650 gl , and it runs good , just rebuilt carbs etc , but while scrolling through kijiji today i noticed someone in my neiberhood , selling a 1981 gs 650 gt , he wanted $800.00 bucks canadian , but i got him down to $500.00 , does anyone know are most parts between these two bikes interchangable ?
    oh he doesnt have the title !!! is it worth the hassel

Maybe it was imported from England! I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff.
    No title, no problem in Maine or N.Hampshire - good luck other places!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

not sure if this will work here is a pic of the bike

Comment

for instance on my gs650 gl , i only have one disk brake on the front , i should be able to remove forks and brakes from the 81 and install on my 83 ???
        buddy sais the bike starts but rear brakes are seased up .
        i believe the tank on this 81 is a little bigger then the tank on my 83 too

Comment

There are some differences between the tanks (Petcock placement) and seats, and the side panels/trim. The forks are different...leading axle on the GL.

However, most of the parts can be swapped around.

EDIT- yes, the"L" tanks are generally a bit smaller. The handlebars are different between the "G" and "L" models.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Do you think $500 is a reasonable price ?

Comment

If it starts and runs (even though it might not run well), it could easily be worth $500.

If you choose to do the fork swap, be sure to change the entire front end, not just the forks. Be sure to do the triple clamps, too.

Yes, the G tank is bigger than the GL, but I don't know if you can swap them. I am more familar with the 850s, and the mounts at the rear of the tank changed for the '82 model year (except for the Ls, which got the 'new' mounts in '81). Since the 650 only had a three-year run here in the US, I don't know what differences they made from year to year. My only reference point is my son's '82 650L (seen by clicking link in my sig). You could browse the online parts fiche at the various sites, but they might not show quite enough detail about mouning points.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thx Steve .. none the less for $500 I would have plenty of spare parts !!! Its the exact same engine .. and if I cracked a head or blow an engine up could I get the same engine somewere for 500 ... probably not

Comment

I was not telling you to not get it.

On the other hand, when you get it and decide to do some swapping, was just giving you a heads-up on what might be possible.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd grab it for $300, see if it's possible to get past the title issue. In not, find a dead one for $100 or so with a title, put your good parts on that frame.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X