Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob From Canada. Project GS!

Hey guys Im back.

I've been doing a lot of research and trolling the forum and extracting as much knowledge as I could before I decided to do anything with my GS.

I have officially ordered all my parts for my project, which is going to consist of cleaning and re jetting my carbs.

I have them off the bike now and pulled the current main jets to discover that they are not original Mukini jets sized 112.5, and also that the carbs themselves have been tampered with.. ie stripped and/or missing screws, and the pilot air screws are at different adjustment levels (either 1 1/4 to 2 turns out)

I ordered 115 and 117.5 main jet sizes from jetsrus.com, o ring kit from cycleorings.com, and new pods off ebay. Now I am just waiting and being patient till they show up in the mail.

I will have pics up as soon as photo bucket starts co operating with me.

quick question.. does anyone know off hand what are the stock main jet sizes for GS750?.. mines an 1984 ES

Either 117.5 or 122.5:

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post

This is an awesome link. Thank you

Comment

Update!

So i have taken all the carb components out and found more stripped screws...

And missing pilot air mixture screw washers ...

But generally everything is in tip top shape and my gaskets came off very nice.

and everything looks clean...

Now while I wait on my o-rings and jets to come in I will move onto getting the bike itself all ready and nicely cleaned up .. so some general maintenance (valve adjustments, spark plugs..etc).

Feeling really good about how this is coming along so far.

Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't been greeted yet I'm sure you'll get the Basscliff welcome soon. Here's a link to the Mega Welcome.

Those carbs need a good dipping and cleaning. I hope you plan to continue the dis-assembly of the carbs. Don't stop where you are. You need to de-gang them and pull the float seats out as well. What you see on the surface is not what will cause you problems. It's those tiny passages that will get you every time. Dip them, poke them and spray them.

PS: Technically it's a fuel screw... Not an air screw.

What year is that 750? Put that in your signature so others will know in the future.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            Welcome to the forum! If you haven't been greeted yet I'm sure you'll get the Basscliff welcome soon. Here's a link to the Mega Welcome.

Those carbs need a good dipping and cleaning. I hope you plan to continue the dis-assembly of the carbs. Don't stop where you are. You need to de-gang them and pull the float seats out as well. What you see on the surface is not what will cause you problems. It's those tiny passages that will get you every time. Dip them, poke them and spray them.

PS: Technically it's a fuel screw... Not an air screw.

What year is that 750? Put that in your signature so others will know in the future.

Going today to pick up rotary dremel tool to slot screws and remove float seats and a set of calipers.

I plan on DE-ganging them, just stopped at that point for now, i have to get some containers and the dip. Like I said I am going to wait till my parts arrive then move forward further.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X