77 GS750 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS750 Rebuild

This winter I decided to do a full rebuild of my 77. I disassembled the bike back in February, and have slowly been taking the parts to my buddies paint shop to have them powder coated. Just recently I've been getting parts back and have begun (lazily) putting things back together.
    I'll take and post some pics of what I have gotten back from the shop and reassembled.
    For now, here is what the bike looked like when I picked it (and my 79 750L) up for $500, from my buddy who moved to FL. I might be able to find a couple more photos. But I'm at work (sshhhh) and don't have all the photos available to me at the moment.
    I plan on keeping this bike a 2 seater as my 79L has been chopped to $h!t(since it's an L), and only has room for me.
    I also plan on going with drag bars, updated electronics (turn signals, headlamp, R/R, etc...), Chrome 4 into 1 exhaust, repainting the tank and plastics (Can anyone give me some info on how to get the color for the tank and rear?? I'd prefer to do it myself by rattle can if possible), upgrading the front end to something with dual disks.
    Yada yada you get the idea. more to come shortly!

Here is what I have gotten back from powder coating. I got them back together and just need to fill in the lettering (gonna happen soon, I swear). The battery box, and rear fender support/assembly are done and need to get put back together.
    What do you guys think of painting the front fender the same color as the tank on this bike? Or should I just leave it chrome?

Comment

Good quality chrome fenders are quite hard to find. But you may be able to find one with damaged chrome for not much. Why not find a below-par one and paint it? If you don't like it, you haven't wasted much. If you do like it, you could sell the original for a profit.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Great idea Steve. I'll see how I feel about the fenders when that time comes. I picked up a gs1100 swing arm for this bad boy which I will probably polish up real shiny and powder coat it with a few coats of clear just to keep it safe from the elements. I'll be posting a couple pics here in a bit of what I did this weekend.

Comment

Happy easter to me!

Had this crank case sitting in my garage now for a couple months. This was the perfect weekend to get it cleaned up and repainted. I just have to get more paint and take the jugs, head and everything else off of the damaged crank case and paint it up. I'll put a pic of that in the album when they get done next weekend.

http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/Ch...20paint%20time

Comment

Little rubber pieces wedged in cooling fins, what for?

What is the purpose of the rubber pieces wedged in the cooling fins on the cylinder head? Should there be one wedged in each gap? Where can I find replacements for the ones that have fallen out/been removed?

Comment

Vibration dampers. They're not all that necessary, and are probably a hangover from Suzuki's 2-stroke days.

I don't recall the exact pattern used on your head - perhaps one every other gap?

You could check here - http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs750-b-...048/partslist/. I don't know how clear it is regarding placement, but it will certainly give a part number you can use at your favourite Suzuki dealer.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

I kinda figured they were for vibration. Instead of buying 18 of them from partsfish.com for $1.68 a pop, do you think I could just cut up my old tire and jam those chunks in there instead?

Comment

If you're not fussy about the originality aspect, you could just carry on without them. If you decide, once you have the engine running, that you need some anti-vibe material, it wouldn't be difficult to add something (old tyre would be fine) later.
                  1980 GS550ET

Comment

I'm not necessarily fussy about the originality aspect, I just believe the Japanese engineers must have put them there for a reason. Might as well stick with their decision to put little rubber turds in my cooling fins.

Comment

Been slacking on the updates on this project. I've done quite a bit of work since I first stared this thread!
                      I uploaded a bunch of photos onto photo bucket. Check them out, let me know what you think.
                      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Nice bike! Pretty cool to see someone using different colors. Are you going to running a 630 chain on it?

Comment

Thanks man. I had to add some color . I am running a 530 x-ring chain

Comment

Got it running last night. Heres a video. http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/Ch...tml?sort=3&o=1

Comment

Does this look normal to you guys? It reminds me of when I was younger and my dog would eat my moms nylons and try to poop them out but they wouldnt come all the way out... Am I gonna have to return this pipe?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X