long over due

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long over due

Started work on getting my 78 1000 back ready for the road for the first time in 12 years,

(Been in a bad way (health) for a while took a year to fine problem (broken vertebras in my neck and waiting for surgery)
    had one fixed and got told the others will get done once healed, year later got told I can do a little more than nothing, well I broke what they had done within a month, back on waiting list etc etc ,
    but I'm not in as much pain as I have had so decided to tinker.

Had found a supposedly gen 4-2 exhaust which looked good in the photos. it arrived in a sorry state. (both y joints rotten).
    made up two new y joint and managed to fit them took 4 days of foul language and blood sweat and tears but did it much to the relief of everyone in ear shot.

Did the oil bits and bobs and rigged up a temp fuel tank charged the battery etc and yesterday added fuel (waited for carbs to fill) full choke turned the key and hit the magic go button.

Well within 1/4 of a turn she burst into life and revved up to 2000 rpm I quickly eased the choke down so she sat at 1200 rpm and was happy and smiling again.

Ran better than I hoped .

Once warm turned choke off ,
    That's when I heard it a rattle/rumble
    once over 1000 rpm nice anything under it comes back, lower the rpm the louder it got.

Have heard about clutch basket rattles etc never had a gs with one tho (been lucky).

So pulled in the clutch and tried dropping it into gear hmmm didn't go (frozen clutch)
    switched of bike engaged 1st gear pulled in clutch hit the starter bike started wheel spinning clutch still in pressed rear brake bike stalled.

Lent her over on side stand (wheels on blocks) and cracked the clutch cover bolts (yay) all came loose, removed foot peg and brake leaver removed clutch cover,
    removed the clutch spring bolt and worked my way in placing every thing in order.

All came apart very well was going great till I checked the basket and noticed not only did it have loose springs but a big crack it basket

Had a old motor laying around (Smokey and bottom end shot) but knew it had a good clutch so pulled it out got the lad to help lift it onto the bench and started to crack the screws to remove the clutch cover all stripped but managed to get them after a while.

As before removed bolts plates etc and then found that superman had been in there to tighten the clutch shaft nut, well ended up breaking a finger of the basket but got it off.

Checked the basket over and it was like new no wear or play etc etc apart from now a broken finger

So two stuffed baskets very little money and none to be found locally (new Zealand)

Have put the broken finger basket in with best plates, springs etc started tightening the clutch spring bolts to correct torque and one seems to be stripped.

Stuff it put it back together anyway checked that it works (great)

Started bike no rattle (great)

went for a small ride down the road got to the corner and little to no brakes
    Got it home safe n sound

Now rests in shed till I can find clutch basket and master cylinder's and calliper kits for a price I can afford.

Hope your week in the garage has been better.

Hi cougar, have got complete front brake assy, and am in Chch. Give me a call on 03 3870877. Was all working when bike was last on road, and I have now puy later brakes on mine. ('80 GS1000S). Adrian

Comment

I can tell you that baskets are around in NZ. I have spares here but they're earmarked to keep our racebike going.
      GS58 on here replaced his 1000 with an 1100 when the thou blew so may have a blown motor he would part with - he's in palmy.

i've seen broken ears on clutch drums rewelded too....

Comment

Originally posted by kiwimacchi View Post
        Hi cougar, have got complete front brake assy, and am in Chch. Give me a call on 03 3870877. Was all working when bike was last on road, and I have now puy later brakes on mine. ('80 GS1000S). Adrian
        have messaged you

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          I can tell you that baskets are around in NZ. I have spares here but they're earmarked to keep our racebike going.
          GS58 on here replaced his 1000 with an 1100 when the thou blew so may have a blown motor he would part with - he's in palmy.

i've seen broken ears on clutch drums rewelded too....
          thanks have sent a message

Comment

Working...
          X