'78 GS750C (?) or project good start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750C (?) or project good start

I had the original owner deliver this fine specimen this afternoon. Hard to tell that there is a GS under all of the barn dirt/dust.
    It was last registered in 1999 and shouldn't take much to get going again.

Besides some soap and water, I need to find a few gaskets before I can try to fire it up.

Just needs a bit of spit and polish...or a how bunch. Let me know if you don't want that FM2 fairing, or the parts from it.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Making a little progress today. Concentrated on the back end while waiting for parts to arrive.

Comment

Holy hell. If that is the same bike I'm well past impressed and somewhat ashamed at the cleanup I've managed on the 750L my fiance bought sight unseen. Great great great job.

Comment

Nice....looks like you didn't need to touch the frame. Very fortunate. Looking good so far.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Damn!

Under all of that dirt that thing is gorgeous! Nice work!

Comment

Moving along like a herd of turtles. Still waiting on one missing valve stem seal and I still need to change out the swing arm for the '78 1000E unit and rebuild the front end.
                Busy polishing some of the covers and should have them on by the end of this weekend.

Comment

Not much in the way of progress with too many other projects going on concurrently. This is about as much polishing as I can stand so, it is what it is. I still have not received the valve stem seals yet! So the head still sits.

Comment

After getting distracted and building an "easy" '80 1100E which proved to have more problems than any ten previous bikes rolled into one , rebuilding a set of carbs for a friend of a friend's CB900C,
                    I am finally back to working on this simple project. I got the valves lapped and a tiny bit of port work done and am currently cooking dinner.

Hopefully, I will be able to finish this head and get it installed after it cools down a bit. Perhaps tomorrow.

Comment

I only got a few hours to play with it today so I only got the head back together, installed and torqued down in five stages.

Ready for the buckets.

I use this trick on all of the '77-79 engines even those without the extra bolt in the front to keep them from leaking.

Finished for the day and ready to cover for the time being.

Comment

What's the product that you're using? bikes looking great so far.
                        Rob

Comment

Which product are you asking about?

Comment

That you use at the front of the head. Curious why you're using the large rectangular o-ring. Though most of the head gaskets nowadays enables us to discard that.
                            Rob

Comment

Permatex Ultra Black. Cometic custom made gasket.

Comment

Working...
                              X