Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 650E, What did I get my self into?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650E, What did I get my self into?????

As some of you know I got two GS for a trade that cost me 25.00. This is the 650 and I have know clue where to start. I took the tank and back cover off to paint. I also took off the side cover where I thought my stator plug would be and found just my chain. Well it looks like crap, and was wondering what I should use to clean up that mess. I will post pics that I have already for my day one pf the project.

This bike is not a keeper for me, I am just trying to get it running so I can sell it. The other bike the 850l is the keeper for me.

I am 99% sure the carbs need to be redone, but I am scared to do it myself. Even after reading all the posts here on how to do it. I also have no clue what is on the inside of the tank.

Any tips on what I should start with would be great. Thanks..

Comment

Also does anubody know which bike this seat fits? I got it for this bike but it does not fit.

Comment

That's an L seat. You should reconsider which one you keep. 650Es are great bikes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, a nice looking L seat ! you got lots of work ahead of you, so if

" I am just trying to get it running so I can sell it"

consider selling it for parts instead and focus on the keeper.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The seat might be off a 450 L. The 650 E is the more desirable bike. Flip it for $150 as is and get your beloved 850 L going.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That 650E needs so much work to make into a decent rider that YOU WILL NEVER FIX IT UP AND MAKE A PROFIT OFF OF IT.

It needs a complete frame-off resto, which will take dozens of hours and over one thousand dollars in parts, if you know what you are doing. From the content of your posts, you do not have any idea.

I pick up lots of bikes from people who do what you did (paint the body parts and/or get a new seat) before even determining if the engine is any good. They then look at the big hot mess they have and try to sell it for what they paid for it, plus the paint job.

Part it out, or sell it as is for $150.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Actually if you part them both out you can make enough money to just buy a nice motorcycle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't waste your money on paint before you even know if the engine will run! There is nothing worse than having shiny painted tins with a boat anchor for an engine. That thing will need more money to fix up than it will potentially be worth even restored. I'd give you $100 for it as it sits.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Actually if you part them both out you can make enough money to just buy a nice motorcycle.
                    Probably the best advice here so far.

Comment

Actually, if you look at it carefully, it's really all there, electrics, etc-having said that, how much you want for the seat?
                      sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                      '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                      '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                      '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                      '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                      '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                      '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                      '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                      '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                      '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. The 650 runs has a stator problem but sat for a few years. Motor is/was fine. The 850 the reasons behind wanting to redo it, is I used to own it. I loved it now it's home.....

recycled64 the seat is for sale. How about 40 bucks or trade? Need side covers for the 650.

Comment

Working...
                        X