Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Suzuki Katana GS1100SXZ - Rebuild

Hi All

I recently acquired my Suzuki Katana after a long wait for the estate of mylate father to be sorted out.

I want to restore the bike to its original look but I have a fewQuestions/Problems...

1st Problem:
    As far as I gather from some google searches the Katana was released as a Racing Spec which was called the Bathurst Model... 1981 to 1982... Vin Number:GS110X-100388 to GS110X-101324... Are these Correct?

My Bikes Vin Number is:GS110X-101049.. Which puts it in this Bracket(Attached:Katana-Steering_Number)...
    I am from South Africa(Where they even imported to here??)..
    Would this mean mine is a Bathurst Model?

2nd Problem:
    If mine is a Bathurst Model where does it leave me?
    Are they as special as they seem to be? Are they rare bikes?
    (My Late Dad always told me his bike is one of only a thousand ever produced??)
    Here in South Africa it seems there is very little information on these bikes.Does anyone know where I will get more information on my Bike?

3rd Problem:
    Where do I get the original look of this bike?
    I want to know did they have straps over the seat? What did their speedo look like?
    Does anybody have a gallery of pictures I can refer to?

Last Point:
    I’m 23 and I absolutely love this bike... It’s just such a looker compared to other bikes of its time..
    So in this regard I would appreciate any help I can get to have it look right.
    I want to show it in honour of my dad.. It was his pride and joy...
    It needs some love but its still in pretty good shape..

Thank you in advance.
    Ruan Greyling

Congratulations and best wishes in restoring your dad's old bike. I can't help much with the Kat specifics but we have plenty of Kat owners here. There is also a katana owner club. A guy named rob Wilton is active in both. He is Katman and has a website and helped many with GSXR mods.

Comment

Welcome Ruan, yes there are several Kat experts here and the first thing they'll want is more pics...

Specifically, good shots of the carbs - they were special to the hot Kat and a couple of other models too.

this will help identify just what you've got.

Comment

Lots of good info on the Australian Katana forum www.suzuki-katana.net
        Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
        1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
        1977 GS400
        1974 Montesa 250
        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
          Lots of good info on the Australian Katana forum www.suzuki-katana.net
          Definitely check in here, they are good blokes and will help, and there are other Saffers on there.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.. GregT... What should I send you guys pictures of?

Im 23 and my Dad passed away in 2007, so I was young when he rode the bike. its been standing since 2005, do not know alot about the history of the bikes, what I know is what google tells me...

I am busy building a small workshop for me to work in, a clean area dedicated to the bike..
            Untill thats finished (Expecting end May) I am trying to find out as much as possible on the bike..

Attached is a photo of the bike as it stands at the moment.. It needs some love but is in pretty good shape...
            Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM. Reason: Added to reply

Comment

Welcome to the site, ruan.
              Certainly the spoke wheels are a good start as to it being a "special" Kat.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Oh yes, the spokes are a good start....Is that a front number board i see ? A lot of the wire wheel Katanas were raced as they were a limited production "homologation special". They seem to be unique to the Southern Hemisphere - NZ, Aussie, and SA all got them - and raced them.

When you get around to it, after taking the carbs off,measure the bore on the engine side. It should be around 33mm. If so those are the correct VM30's for the wire wheel kat - and you've got a good'un.

Don't suppose the original pipes came with it ?

Comment

Welcome Ruan, I've seen you over on the KA forum as well but I'll tune in here for the rebuild too
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                  X