1986 gs750es project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 gs750es project

I've just started tearing into the bike. It's a Canadian model. Sat in a shed for 7 years in Quebec and it was cheep. It's going to need the carbs done, forks, tires and some major cleaning. I'm not looking to restore it yet, just get it running so I have a beater to rip around the property on. I have my '97 bandit 1200 for daily use but I can see doing a complete resto when the funds are available.

So far I've got the carbs out, will be giving them the pine sol tomorrow. Intake boots don't look that great. Fork seals came in so I will be taking care of those soon. The anti-dive has already been disconnected. I will be pulling the wiring harness and cleaning all the connections. It's got the stock exhaust that is showing some holes in the cross piece. I'm hoping JB weld will help out there. Body work is decent, but won't be going on until it's restored. I have a feeling some family and friends will be learning to ride on this one.

I've been lurking and reading what I can for a while now but I have a few questions.

Are the 1986 gs750es models the same as the 1983 models as far as ordering parts go?

Do these '86 models have the electrical issues I've been reading about?

Any advice on what to keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Generally all bikes that have pm alternator with shunt r/r problematics as they are very sucepa le to corrosion causing resistance heat and mid charging.

Do the quick test in my signature and post the results of each step. Only takes a volt meter attached to the battery. Will give a very good indication in less than 5 min. The stator pages are much more involved but nesessary depending upon what you find in QT.

Comment

I will do the test when I go through the harness. I've been noticing the corrosion as the parts come off.

Comment

Great bikes,most of the parts will be the same as the 83.There was no extra hose for the anti dive on the 85 and 86 750's.Suzuki replaced it with the PDF unit on the front of the fork leg.Oddly the US 700's still wore the older type unit.

Comment

Hmmm.... Mine has the older type. I can see where the lines were attached. I know Sooke well. My family has a cabin on Shawnigan lake. I spent 6 years out there riding those roads. I miss the island. Ontario is great for squaring off your tires.

I got the carbs cleaned and back in the bike today. Primed it and it fired right up. Engine sounds really good. This is the first one I've been around that was running. I like it. I was very impressed with the sound out of the stock pipes as well. It's going to sit for a few days while I go for a rip on the bandit.

Comment

Here's a few pics

Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2014, 03:48 AM. Reason: Trying to get pictures to work.

Comment

LOL I can tell you why you have the older style anti dives.Someone put 83 fork legs on your 86.Did the same thing with my 85 but I transplanted the PDF to them.Later forks don't have the polished rings on the tops.

Comment

That makes sense. Both sides of the engine have some rash so it's been down a few times. How do they perform with the lines unhooked? Both seals are blow and oozing fluid so they are really soft. I've got the seals and 15w fork oil. I'm hoping that will be heavy enough. Those polished rings disappear when the fork brace is on.

Comment

I have no idea how they are without the line,I put the PDF on mostly because it was easy.I'm running 10w in the 85 now but I prefer the 15 w I had in it before.

Comment

Working...
                  X