Front Brake MC Rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake MC Rebuild question

So I searched around the forum and even BikeCliff's website but couldn't find exactly what I needed. Also looked through my Clymer book and they have tons of diagrams of calipers and the rear MC but go figure, no Front MC digrams. REALLY!?

I'm rebuilding the Front Brake MC on my 550 and am having trouble getting the plunger out of the housing (picture 2) I'm not sure how it comes out and don't want to damage anything by yanking on it improperly. Also on the actual housing where the reservoir sits. I see 2 small ports that look like they go into the plunger area. (intake, out-take?) one is nice and clear but the one on the right doesn't seem to go anywhere?

Originally posted by Bustedknuckles View Post
    Remove that rubber boot. Way down inside there is a circlip.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep, there's a circlip that keeps the plunger from popping out. Don't worry about damaging the rubber boot as it will be replaced anyway.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sweet, Got the boot off, c-clip out, and got the plunger assembly out and WOW, no wonder my brakes were crunching! I'm going to order up a rebuild kit and get this bad boy back together.

Lastly, I know some rebuild kits can be better than others, can anyone recommend a good one? Or are all of the MC kits pretty much the same?

Comment

I always use genuine Suzuki rubber bits on my brakes. They're usually not much more expensive and you know they'll work.

Check the MC bore is nice and shiny and smooth before you do anything else by the way.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Caliper & Master Cylinder Rebuild

Hey, good luck with the rebuild!

I went to partsoutlaw.com and ordered the replacement bits/pieces. See here for my GS750T rebuild: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=216696&page=2

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The bore looks good, Nice and smooth and shiny. Good candidate for a rebuild.

Comment

So I got my rebuild kit in the mail today and unless the kit is drastically re-designed, I think they sent me the wrong kit... Everything is pretty different looking and all of the rubber stopper and seals look too big...

Comment

It should have come in a box or a bag with a Genuine Suzuki OEM sticker and part number on it. Does the part number match up with what you ordered? Does the part number that your ordered match up with the fiche?
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Unfortunately, this one was my mistake. Ordered it in a hurry and thought it was the correct kit. Oh well, it wasnt terribly expensive...

Comment

If it's a GS kit, put it up for sale. Someone here is sure to buy it eventually.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                      X