No announcement yet.

BanditRE's GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone's interested, this is the position of the pivot arm where it worked best...

Clutch hub and basket while mounted on bike. Not sure how serious those marks from the springs are.

I couldn't get a really good look at everything while it was installed, so I removed the hub and basket. The next two pictures are of the clutch hub, the inner part of the basket assembly. To be honest, this seems more beat up than the outer basket/primary drive.

The next two are of the outer basket/primary drive. The marks on this look worse than they actually are. Although marked, for the most part, the surface is smooth. There are one or two areas where the surface is more worn, with smooth ridges and valleys.

What's left in the clutch....seems good to me.

I was hoping I could salvage the basket and hub with some careful sanding and filing to smooth everything out.
    I think I know what the answers will be, but I'll ask anyway.
    With worn areas on the clutch hub and basket, will that likely cause the engagement/disengagement issues I've been dealing with?
    Will the same worn areas, cause the judder when I'm slipping the clutch to pull away from a stop?
    What else am I missing?

In addition to the above, I had two metal driven discs that were slightly distorted. One within spec (0.002") and one at spec (0.004").
    Your thoughts and advice, as always are appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Yes, those divots in the basket and hub WILL affect your engagement/disengagement issues.

Look at it this way: the divots are there because of the constant forceful contact with the disks. When you pull the lever to disengage the clutch, you are asking the disks to come apart a little bit and slide on each other. Because they are centered in their divots, they refuse to move. You now have a situation where it is hard to shift or hard to find neutral.

You can try filing them smooth, but don't forget that you will also need to file down the smooth ribs a similar amount, or they will be taking all the load and will soon be getting their own divots.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Googly moogly. Thanks Steve, that's what I figured. I searched Ebay this morning and thankfully found some good looking used clutches. Looks like I'll placing that order! I also noticed the same guy had a 79 cylinder head and cover that would work on mine since that bodge fix I had to do to get the stuck bolt out of the head. All is not lost!

For future reference, do you know what causes the clutch hub and basket to wear like that? Some of the used ones had wear like that, some had none and the wear didn't seem to coincide with the mileage the sellers had listed from the donor bikes. I'm just trying to avoid future hassles.

Thanks as always for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by BanditRE View Post
          For future reference, do you know what causes the clutch hub and basket to wear like that?
          Stop trying to do wheelies.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well the used clutch parts had much the same wear as mine, only not quite as severe. So I carefully filed the clutch hub and basket until all marks and grooves were gone. Cleaned up everything and reassembled. I also replaced two of the metal clutch discs as they were slightly warped. I've since put about 200 miles on the bike and things are much improved. Shifting to neutral from first or second is better but not great. Pulling away from a stop in first gear, is fine, no problems. I'll play with the adjustment some more to see if I find neutral more easily.

But on the bright side, I put 200 miles on the bike which is great! Its running well and its the first I've really rode it outside of checking for bugs and problems. Good times. Its a nice bike, comfortable, very smooth, pulls well, good stuff.

I also took the windjammer off, and installed a headlight. I think the bike looks better for it and I appreciate the wind flow over me this time of year.

Thanks for all your help with the clutch issues. A slight tweak to the fuel screws in the carbs seems to have eliminated the dead spot just past idle, I'll see how the fueling works out over the next few weeks.

Fairing...

Back to Headlight and turn signals. I'll be trying to sell the windjammer if anyone's interested. I'll list it on the forum first, if that doesn't work, I'll resort to craigslist.

Comment

500 Mile Update:
              I've had a few issues over the last few weeks. Nothing major really. The tach started squealing loudly on one long ride. It got so bad I had to disconnect the cable for fear of doing permanent damage. The right fork seal sprung a leak which was annoying after only a few hundred miles. The dead spot off idle wasn't quite fixed with my last tweak to the carb fuel screws. Then it started to leak fuel out of the overflow tube for the #3 carb. Obviously a stuck float valve.

I used K&L fork seals from Z1 when I reassembled the forks a few months ago. Replaced with a genuine Suzuki part and it appears to have fixed the fork seal leak problem. Note to self.....
              Lubed up the speedo and tach drives with graphite lock lubricant and the squealing has gone. So has the erratic tach and slow-to-respond speedo needle. Great! Replaced the cables too for good measure.
              Replaced the old headlight with a new halogen sealed beam and its much brighter now. The incandescent unit was fine but kind of dim.
              After procrastinating, I eventually got into the carbs today, looking for the reason behind my stuck float and hesitation off idle. I assumed a bad float valve or some debris and another tweak to the fuel screws was needed, but after taking off the tank and airbox and looking more closely at the fuel filter, I saw this......

Woah. I did what I thought was a good job flushing out the tank after I cleaned it but apparently not nearly a good enough job. All that stuff that looks like coffee grounds in the pictures is tiny rust particles clumped together. The fuel filter did what it could for as long as it could but based on what I saw inside the floats, some of that got through and periodically got stuck in the float valve. I cleaned it all up, put it back together and installed a new filter. I'll keep a closer eye on it from now on. A quick test ride showed the hesitation off idle was still there, so another quick tweak to the fuel screws eliminated that. Burned my hand making those adjustments of course, but hey........it runs better now.

The 500 miles I've managed to do have been great! The bike's running well, pulling well throughout the rev range, the engine is smooth as glass especially for a 4 cylinder. Very comfortable bike, great saddle, plenty quick enough. This is a nice bike! I was expecting some annoying vibes in the handlebars like I've had with other 4 cylinder bikes but this GS has none of that. Very cool.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Yar, these 850 engines run like sewing machines once they're all set. There's always a few kinks to iron out after a rebuild, nice to see you're getting them sorted well. Get in all the riding you can, the warm weather is going away sooner than almost anyone would like.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I think I have all the bugs finally sorted, at least for now. I've had a couple of nice rides aboard the old girl without a hiccup. I would assume (hope) that from now on its fairly problem free except for the normal amount of issues you'll get from a 35 year old motorcycle. I had a good time fixing it up and getting it back on the road, and I've been enjoying riding it. I learned a huge amount in the process too. Thank you to all those who helped along the way, it is much appreciated.

I'll likely enjoy the bike for the rest of the year, but once spring comes I'll probably list it for sale. I have the bug to bring something else back to life and I don't have the room for countless bikes......unfortunately. If anyone's interested let me know, I'm sure we can work something out, if not, then it'll be on craigslist once the weather breaks next year. Hopefully I won't lose my ass too much when I sell it, but I didn't get into this to make a profit!

Thanks again all!

Comment

Hey All,

A few minor updates. The old girl survived the fall and winter quite well. The inline fuel filter I've installed keeps the residual crap I'm getting from the gas tank out after I cleaned it but after a month or so it starts to leak a little gas. Nothing major but not something I'm crazy about either. Looks like I'm going back into the tank again to try to remove whatever residual stuff I didn't get out originally. I bought a newer petcock filter on Ebay too, which hopefully helps as my original tank filter was pretty lousy looking.

The tach screeching came back too after its long winter rest. I lubed up the internals as best I can without taking it apart and its quiet again for now. If it continues to return, I may have to take it apart and lube it up from inside. Its not something I wanted to take on, but as new ones are rare and ridiculously expensive, what else are you gonna do?

Other than she's running well. I had planned on selling it come spring but after some thinking and a couple of beers in the garage staring at them, I think I'm going to let the Royal Enfield go instead and keep the old GS

Comment

Well glad you're keeping it around, if it came up for sale I might have felt obligated to make an offer.

You might need a new tach... The screeching is coming from the bearing in the connector. There's not much inside the tach to lube. And because hardly anybody lubed that bearing, you might go through a couple used ones before you find a good one. That's the story on mine, anyway.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

You can always make an offer!

We'll see how it goes with the tach. I've noticed there's quite a few for sale on Ebay but not many with the gas gauge included in the tach like the 79 has. I'll see if one pops up used, or maybe I'll buy a new one without the gauge if the price is right. There seems to be quite a few of those floating around. The gas gauge isn't exactly accurate and I use the tripmeter to tell me when its time to fill up anyway. The graphite lube I've been using keeps it quiet for a while, but I'm not sure how much is getting on to the bearing. Time will tell!

Comment

Had a change of heart after the Enfield sprung a lose exhaust seat. Put the GS850 up for sale on Tuesday night and sold it this afternoon. I put her up for $2950 and got $2800 in the end. Nice young guy bought it locally. I told him about the GSR, so maybe we'll get a new member. Sad to see her go, but now I can do it again! I'm back to cruisin' craigslist for deals.

Thanks for everyone's help on here. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X