gs850 bobber build with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 bobber build with questions

OK I bought a gs850 last week had some rust in the tank and small electrical problem ( PO hacked up the blinker wires and taillight not a big deal)

So far this is what iv done
    Cleaned carbs
    Rebuilt petcock
    Removed the rust from the tank

Now for my questions
    My clutch cable looks like it is realty long and seams to be a very stiff pull iv lubed the cable but it is still very stiff.
    My next question I feel very dumb but I can't figure out where my fuel line and vacuum line goes I didn't take pictures and I don't even think the PO had the vacuum line hooked up

fuel line goes on the big nipple between 2 and 3 carb and the petcock vac goes on the brass nipple on top of carb 2. Clutch cable and sheath are probably full of rust..replacement is needed.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi mrmoon.

Welcome to the forum.

When you say the cable is stiff you mean attached to the bike? Detach it from the rest of the clutch asembly. Now you will know if the problem is the cable or the innerds.

Do you have the stock handlebar? When people change the bar the cable needs to be rezised. If the cable is very much longer than it need to then there is one or several sharp bends. That's a nono. The cable should run as straight as possible with gentle curves. That way it glides in the sheat. With bends the cable pull against every turn of the sheat (The cable is trying to straighten the sheat).

On my 440 LTD I was able to reroute the too long cable so as to keep a gentle curve. The previous owner had changed the handlebar.
      Last edited by Highway_Glider; 07-05-2014, 10:04 PM.
      Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

I went outside to look at the bike again after I posted. And I got the lines figured out. But thanks for the quick reply chuck.

And highway glider I think you answered my question. After I lubed it it slid nicely but when I put it back on still very tight. The bars have been replaced with drag bars so I have 1 sharp bend in the line. I will order a shorter one .

Comment

Try rerouting it first maybe???
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Try rerouting it first maybe???
            I agree with chuck.

Maybe route it mostly outside the bike just to see that you have no problems with the cluth itself.

Then reroute inside or get another.
            Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
            1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

On my LTD the cable normaly flows from the left side of the engine through the left side of the triple tree/Headlight and goes to the lever.

I changed it to go on the right side of the headlight bucket before going to the lever. A small change but enough.

Check that turning the handlebar full doesn't affect your clutch.
              Last edited by Highway_Glider; 07-06-2014, 09:33 AM.
              Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
              1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

OK I'll try that first iv seen people cut there cables and resodier the barrel to the wires. Would thus work on a clutch cable ?

Comment

Well I got it started and it idels decent at 1100 rpms I'm getting a quiet pop out of the mufflersim guessing that's me ants the carbs are not tuned properly. I'll get that fixed soon.

Next it to get a seat and finder put on.

I'll also be making a wrap to cover the top and sides of the cavity the battery is in sence the covers where missing when I got it.

And my clutch cable broke so I'm going to try shorten and re sodder it back together.

Comment

That muffler popping is usually a sign of leaky exhaust. Check all joints.

Comment

Working...
                    X