Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More progress!

Front forks are rebuilt with the exception of the seals and new drain screws/gaskets which haven't been installed yet. The piston rings, damper bolt copper washers, and upper fork bushings are all new. If anyone is curious, the parts fiche for the 1978 GS1000E does not show a part number for the upper bushings - I measured the existing ones and sourced a matching set from Racetech. Getting the old ones out was a bit of a bugger, as the bushings sit nearly blind into the fork tube. So, I sharpened a screwdriver and found the section where the bushings are split. Gently, I worked the screwdriver with a hammer underneath the bushing and curled it upward so it could finally be removed with a set of pliers. If you nick the bushing seating surface, it's no biggie, just polish it smooth with some fine emery cloth - it isn't a sealing surface, and as long as you don't gouge the snot out of it, the bushing will seat just fine. There are no lower bushings on these forks.

I was going to reuse the original tubes but they were pitted beyond my liking - they were replaced with a set of Tarozzi tubes from Fast From the Past. I will be installing a set of Racetech springs with 10w Fuchs Silkolene oil, and I am having a machine shop make a set of fork caps that have a 19mm hex on top of the cap (the stock caps with air valves just look ugly, IMHO).

Old stuff
    IMG_1453 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Bushing driven in
    IMG_1454 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Fork vise adapter & new tube installed
    IMG_1455 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

The finished pair!
    IMG_1456 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
    Last edited by philosopheriam; 08-20-2017, 10:34 AM.
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Comment

Looking awesome Anthony!!
      Ray.

Comment

Man am I stealing this idea!Wondering why I didn't think of itShould be one nice ride when you're done
        Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Looking awesome Anthony!!
          Ray.

Thanks Ray - engine should be going in the frame in the next couple weeks!
          René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post

Man am I stealing this idea!Wondering why I didn't think of itShould be one nice ride when you're done
            Thanks bud! The adapter is nothing but a steel plate with two holes drilled in it to match the caliper mounting points - the leg is then secured with a couple metric bolts and washers. I have found this to be the easiest and best way to securely hold almost any type of traditional fork leg without barfing/marring/gouging the leg. Also, because my vise pivots, I can rotate the leg vertically for driving seals, etc.
            René Descartes

Comment

Yes it's simplicity is what makes it so brilliant.I'm always worried about doing nasty things to my lowers with the vice. I don't have a pivoting vice but putting it in sideways will achieve most of the same benefits.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2015, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                More progress!

Front forks are rebuilt with the exception of the seals and new drain screws/gaskets which haven't been installed yet. The piston rings, damper bolt copper washers, and upper fork bushings are all new. If anyone is curious, the parts fiche for the 1978 GS1000E does not show a part number for the upper bushings - I measured the existing ones and sourced a matching set from Racetech. Getting the old ones out was a bit of a bugger, as the bushings sit nearly blind into the fork tube. So, I sharpened a screwdriver and found the section where the bushings are split. Gently, I worked the screwdriver with a hammer underneath the bushing and curled it upward so it could finally be removed with a set of pliers. If you nick the bushing seating surface, it's no biggie, just polish it smooth with some fine emery cloth - it isn't a sealing surface, and as long as you don't gouge the snot out of it, the bushing will seat just fine. There are no lower bushings on these forks.

I was going to reuse the original tubes but they were pitted beyond my liking - they were replaced with a set of Tarozzi tubes from Fast From the Past. I will be installing a set of Racetech springs with 10w Fuchs Silkolene oil, and I am having a machine shop make a set of fork caps that have a 19mm hex on top of the cap (the stock caps with air valves just look ugly, IMHO).

Old stuff

Bushing driven in

The finished pair!
                Damn, this is sweet! As far as the forks go,Gs1100e have orderable
                upper and lower fork bushings. Could they be used? Fork caps also?
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                  Damn, this is sweet! As far as the forks go,Gs1100e have orderable
                  upper and lower fork bushings. Could they be used? Fork caps also?
                  Honestly, I'm not sure about the GS1100 parts compatibility with the GS1000 forks - perhaps someone else can chime in, but to my knowledge, everything is different.
                  René Descartes

Comment

Anthony, excellent work and can't wait to see the end product.

Cheers,
                    Tony

Comment

Folks,

Sorry about the lack of updates in the past week or so - to make a long story short, I am a heavy equipment mechanic that works in the railroads, and my company's contract at the location where I was employed expired on June 30th and it was not renewed. No biggie, I found another job and will be starting on July 13. So, my last day was June 26th and I decided to take a good 2+ weeks off to clear my head. So, I have been working on some long overdue home repairs, moreover, I have been adjusting back to a NORMAL schedule - at my old company, I had worked 3rd shift (10pm to 6am) for almost 1.5 years, and it wore me the hell out. At my new job, I will be back to a day shift (7am to 3pm). In the evenings, I have been enjoying myself - going out to dinner, having some beers, etc. In the mornings, I've been waking up around 8am, making a pot of coffee, and then sitting in a lawn chair in my garage, drinking coffee and admiring the beautiful weather. I'm being lazy and enjoying the hell out of it. From July 5th to the 10th, I will be visiting my parents who retired in Sevierville, TN. Blah, blah, blah, blah - you guys get the point :-)

So, I decided to have a bit of motivation today and finish my 2nd to last batch of zinc plating - here are the fantastic results!

IMG_1499 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Tomorrow, I will finish the last batch and then I'm 99% done with all of the hardware on the bike. Yay!
                      Last edited by philosopheriam; 08-20-2017, 10:35 AM.
                      René Descartes

Comment

Those parts look so darn good, man I want to get myself setup with a kit to be able to do that.

When I'm ready I'll go back and read your posts on what you have, I have a couple of 12VDC 15 Amp power supplies I may try and use one or both but if they will not work I'll buy the one suggested.

Thanks for posting and enjoy your time off.

David
                        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                          Those parts look so darn good, man I want to get myself setup with a kit to be able to do that.

When I'm ready I'll go back and read your posts on what you have, I have a couple of 12VDC 15 Amp power supplies I may try and use one or both but if they will not work I'll buy the one suggested.

Thanks for posting and enjoy your time off.

David
                          David,

The power supply is one of the most critical components in obtaining a good end result - for small batches of parts, having a unit that can maintain a constant current between 0A and 5A is key. For every batch of parts you run, a different current will be needed as it is based on the amount of surface area to be plated - excessive voltage or current can cause a multitude of "weird" results - gray/burned plating, blistering/bubbling, etc.

My advice is to spend to $50 to $60 and buy a unit that will work for what you are doing. When you see the end result, it will be worth it
                          René Descartes

Comment

The last batch!!! Just some small stuff. That's it, 99% of the hardware is DONE (excluding the 1% that I may have inadvertently forgotten).

IMG_1504 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            Last edited by philosopheriam; 08-20-2017, 10:36 AM.
                            René Descartes

Comment

Great thread! Your build was one of the threads I looked at before I took the plunge to build one of my own. I also really liked a quote you said in an earlier post, and it ended up in my sig. Lastly saw that you're from Aurora... I'm in Schaumburg. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by pjKUN View Post
                                Great thread! Your build was one of the threads I looked at before I took the plunge to build one of my own. I also really liked a quote you said in an earlier post, and it ended up in my sig. Lastly saw that you're from Aurora... I'm in Schaumburg. Cheers!
                                You're gonna have to pay royalties on that quote, sir - 5 cents, please
                                René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                                X