X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hopefully those are good enough
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      hopefully those are good enough
      THANK YOU! I totally forgot where/how the brackets mount - duh!
      Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
      René Descartes

Comment

Got a bunch of stuff done today, so, here is a little video teaser (click)

Enjoy!

Wire harness installed in bike
        All battery cables, starter, and ground cables fabricated and installed
        Rear brake switch and spring installed
        Rear brake/tail light installed
        René Descartes

Comment

I was going to say "really clean! Awesome work!", and then I saw how dirty that starter is Kidding!
          1983 GS650G
          Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Just a refresher....1st cruise night of the season is May 7th at A&W in N Aurora {starts 6pm} ...then Lake St in front of Ace afterwards{9pm} till ?am. Cycle or not.....weather playing nice, of course too. {it's Illinois - it could snow like two Saturdays ago}

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
              Just a refresher....1st cruise night of the season is May 7th at A&W in N Aurora {starts 6pm} ...then Lake St in front of Ace afterwards{9pm} till ?am. Cycle or not.....weather playing nice, of course too. {it's Illinois - it could snow like two Saturdays ago}
              I doubt that the gs will be done by then, however, I may show up on my fz6!
              René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                I doubt that the gs will be done by then, however, I may show up on my fz6!
                Well, I was brought up with "it's always nice to be asked".....I'm sure george{cb750 brat}, steve{kawi concours} and wally{hd dresser or his vw wagon} will probably be there...me, life has kept me away from working on the cycle for a while...ugh. Need to start going thru mine soon!

Comment

Help...

Can someone snap a quick photo of the proper positioning of the clutch release arm - I can't remember how much it was clocked on the clutch shaft. Thanks!
                  René Descartes

Comment

Where did you buy your wire? I can find the weatherpack connectors and solid color wire but I can't seem to find any wire with the white/black tracer on it. Your harness inspired to start looking at mine lol. I am planning on finding a second harness to rebuild from so my bike doesn't spend any time down.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                      Where did you buy your wire? I can find the weatherpack connectors and solid color wire but I can't seem to find any wire with the white/black tracer on it. Your harness inspired to start looking at mine lol. I am planning on finding a second harness to rebuild from so my bike doesn't spend any time down.
                      For the wire, eBay is your friend - do a search for "18 txl wire"

For connectors, try this guy www.cycleterminal.com
                      René Descartes

Comment

Quick question. What controls did you get? I might have missed it sorry. I like how clean they are and not bulky.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                          Quick question. What controls did you get? I might have missed it sorry. I like how clean they are and not bulky.
                          They are made by K&S technologies - check out this link:

I have the 12-0041B and the 12-0203
                          René Descartes

Comment

Progress over the past 2 to 3 weeks...

There haven't been any weekly updates because most of what I have been doing is fiddly farting around with cables - my buddy has all of the parts to fabricate custom cables, but because I am unable to bring the bike to his shop to fit each cable, there is some guesswork involved. Four trips back and forth from the suburbs to Chicago :-/

Long story short, the throttle cables are a push/pull setup originally intended for a Honda - each cable had to be shortened, and it took us a few tries to get the length of the pull housing/cable correct. Because of the lower handlebars, I had to route the cables under the triple clamp.

The clutch cable has the upper portion (90 degree bend) from an EX500 cable and the lower portion is completely fabricated. I reused the spring, bellows, and rubber boot from the original clutch cable. And adjuster was installed at the same location as the original.

Last edited by philosopheriam; 05-07-2016, 02:19 PM.
                            René Descartes

Comment

Progress over the past 2 to 3 weeks (continued:

When I went to clean and reassemble my old ignition switch, removing 38yrs of grime revealed a crack in the switch body. This, combined with the fact that the lock mechanism itself was in sorry shape convinced me to track a down a decent used one off of eBay. Success! I found one that was in excellent shape that I was able to move most of the wafers around to fit my original key - I only had to file 2 wafers a tiny bit to make it work smoothly. I soda blasted the body of the switch to get it ready for paint.

I filed/sanded some gouges out of my levers and polished them

I built a small angled bracket to mount the crankcase breather - This bracket mounts to an existing frame bracket (for the original air cleaner)

René Descartes

Comment

Progress over the past 2 to 3 weeks (continued):

Last week, I installed the remainder of the ignition system components (minus the ignition wires) and statically timed the engine to around 35 degrees BTDC. I eliminated the Dyna's molex connector near the timing plate and used a 4-pin Amphenol ATM that is weatherproof.

René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                                X