Looking forward to it.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Progress, 7/10

Bad news item #1:
        I bought a pair of used calipers a couple years ago to use with Salty's brake upgrade - when I took them apart, the pistons were in mediocre condition and the bores/seal grooves were very questionable. Instead of powdercoating them, I painted them, so if the calipers were junk I wouldn't be out the powdercoating fee. Long story short, the caliper paint I used chips when you breathe on it, and the calipers are starting to look like $hi* - moreover, they do not perfectly match the color of my frame. So, the front calipers went in the garbage can and I bought a used set from an 05 Concours (with a 30-day guarantee). These will be going to my powdercoater in the near future.

Bad news item #2:
        The seal in my old gas cap was marginal, but I was going to attempt to polish the cap and reuse it - I soaked the seal in silicone spray to get it to swell a bit. During the polishing process, I accidentally caught the edge of the cap with the buffer and it sent the cap flying out of my hand and into the concrete floor. Now the cap is dented and scratched. I guess I'll be buying a new one now....

On a happier note, I fired up the zinc plating rig to take care of a few items that totally slipped my mind:

Installed the rear turn signals:

Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
        René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
          Progress, 7/10

On a happier note, I fired up the zinc plating rig to take care of a few items that totally slipped my mind:
          I'm defiantly stealing this idea for my next plating adventure Sorry to hear about the bad stuff

Comment

I follow many of the builds, but have never been motivated to comment until now. With having an electrical background I can see the effort that's gone into the wiring loom. The quality and attention to detail is phenomenal. Take a bow Sir !!
            2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
            1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
            1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
              I follow many of the builds, but have never been motivated to comment until now. With having an electrical background I can see the effort that's gone into the wiring loom. The quality and attention to detail is phenomenal. Take a bow Sir !!
              Thank you, sir!
              René Descartes

Comment

Hi Mate

I have a 1979 / 80 GS1000S which requires a new wiring harness and just can't get my hands on one anywhere? Can you offer any pointers?

Mark
                Sydney

Comment

Originally posted by clock1958 View Post
                  Hi Mate

I have a 1979 / 80 GS1000S which requires a new wiring harness and just can't get my hands on one anywhere? Can you offer any pointers?

Mark
                  Sydney
                  Mark - not trying to be an a-hole, but why does it need a new harness? Is the original missing or buggered beyond repair?
                  René Descartes

Comment

7/17, Progress

Headlight bucket, bracket, spacers, and turn signals installed:

Electrical stuff reinstalled after powdercoating:

René Descartes

Comment

7/17, Progress (continued)

Fork brace installed:

René Descartes

Comment

I really appreciate the amazing electrical work. Glad to see someone sweating the details. What brand of fork brace is that? I am working on a 78 project as well. Thanks for the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by erickson_ron View Post
                          I really appreciate the amazing electrical work. Glad to see someone sweating the details. What brand of fork brace is that? I am working on a 78 project as well. Thanks for the updates.
                          Looks to be a powder coated Tarozzi. www.fastfromthepast.com is where I got mine.
                          1983 GS650G
                          Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyC View Post
                            Looks to be a powder coated Tarozzi. www.fastfromthepast.com is where I got mine.
                            Bingo...! The stock finish of the Tarozzi looks terrible, imho...
                            René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                              Bingo...! The stock finish of the Tarozzi looks terrible, imho...
                              Agreed. I painted my Telefix with Caliper paint and baked it. Holding up well.

Nice work, Anthony. Now hurry up and finish this beast we're getting impatient...

Comment

Working...
                              X