No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good!...reminds me that I have to try and tweek my seat mount and latch...not quite aligned correctly and rubs a little at the latch box area.
    ...you gonna remove the valve cover gasket cross stay?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
      Looking good!...reminds me that I have to try and tweek my seat mount and latch...not quite aligned correctly and rubs a little at the latch box area.
      ...you gonna remove the valve cover gasket cross stay?
      I have to pull the valve cover gasket one more time to check the valve clearances after a few heat cycles. Then the cross stay gets removed :-D
      Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
      René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
        I am so impressed by this build - not even sure what to say.

A highlight for me is that headlight/turn signal bracket. Love the signals too. So clean. I'll go back and read - curious if that was purchased or fabricated.
        I purchased the headlight brackets and signals from Dime City Cycles - however, I had the brackets and the signal bodies powdercoated in the same color as my frame, etc.

The headlight bucket is from the same place, same powdercoat color, as well.

The spacers between the brackets and the headlight bucket are simply aluminum spacers from Mcmaster Carr - I polished them to make them look pretty :-)
        René Descartes

Comment

An odd thing to say considering all the great looking parts on your bike, but man those side covers are beautiful!
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            An odd thing to say considering all the great looking parts on your bike, but man those side covers are beautiful!
            Thank you, sir!
            René Descartes

Comment

Folks - I need opinions...

These - oval head mirrors

OR

These - shovel head mirrors

Also, I can't decide if I want black or chrome... I'm leaning towards the oval mirrors. I'm afraid the black ones won't match the existing satin black of my frame and small parts. However, I'm also concerned about the chrome ones looking out of place. Thoughts?
              Last edited by philosopheriam; 09-25-2016, 10:34 AM.
              René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                Folks - I need opinions...

These - oval head mirrors

OR

These - shovel head mirrors

Also, I can't decide if I want black or chrome... I'm leaning towards the oval mirrors. I'm afraid the black ones won't match the existing satin black of my frame and small parts. However, I'm also concerned about the chrome ones looking out of place. Thoughts?
                I like the black ovals best, but they're all ugly, IMHO.

Having offered my opinion, it's your money and your bike. Overall, it's stunning. You do great work.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                  I like the black ovals best, but they're all ugly, IMHO.

Having offered my opinion, it's your money and your bike. Overall, it's stunning. You do great work.
                  Ha - I'm trying to find a set of mirrors that don't stick out like a sore thumb and match the lines of the bike. The originals just look goofy to me...
                  René Descartes

Comment

Ovals for sure.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                      Ha - I'm trying to find a set of mirrors that don't stick out like a sore thumb and match the lines of the bike. The originals just look goofy to me...
                      LOL. As I said, it's yours, and you have done great so far. I'd go with the black ovals...

Comment

Another vote here for the black ovals. Also, great looking results on the project.

Just another comment about your beautiful bike. The pinstripe on the seat not matching the stripe on the tail section would drive me batty but that's just me. I would see it every time I looked at the bike but then, I am anal about stuff like that. It's your bike for sure so do whatever you like. I am just in awe of the talents you have shown on this re-build.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          Another vote here for the black ovals. Also, great looking results on the project.

Just another comment about your beautiful bike. The pinstripe on the seat not matching the stripe on the tail section would drive me batty but that's just me. I would see it every time I looked at the bike but then, I am anal about stuff like that. It's your bike for sure so do whatever you like. I am just in awe of the talents you have shown on this re-build.
                          Thanks bud - I hear ya about the being anal part... In this instance, the juice isn't worth the squeeze, if you know what I mean. Suzuki never intended the stripes to line up from the tail to the trim piece to the tank, and trying to make this happen will require some serious additional $$$

Just a reminder of what she looked like originally :-)
                          René Descartes

Comment

FYI: Went with the black oval ones...
                            René Descartes

Comment

Are the pin stripes on your seat trim under clear..? If not, those two colors are available at auto paint stores for cheap (15 bux or so). It would be a snap to redo if they can easily be removed. Mis-alignment would drive me crazy, too.
                              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

What do they call that color of burnt orange at the auto paint store?

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                                Are the pin stripes on your seat trim under clear..? If not, those two colors are available at auto paint stores for cheap (15 bux or so). It would be a snap to redo if they can easily be removed. Mis-alignment would drive me crazy, too.
                                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                                80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                                X