Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
    Are the pin stripes on your seat trim under clear..? If not, those two colors are available at auto paint stores for cheap (15 bux or so). It would be a snap to redo if they can easily be removed. Mis-alignment would drive me crazy, too.
    Under clear, my friend...
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Comment

Ordered my mirrors, company said they wouldn't have them for 3+ weeks, I said cancel...

Before I reorder, I saw these... Now I'm thinking again.
      René Descartes

Comment

I like them better than the oval.
        The up and down adjustability is nice.
        Price?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
          Updates - it has been a couple weeks due to working a bunch of OT at my job - when the opportunity presents itself, I take it, as it is how I pay for toys and delicious dinners :-)

Anyway, here's what's new:

PS: I KNOW the pinstripes on the rear trim piece do not line up with the pinstripes on the seat trim - they didn't line up from the factory, either :-) I had my painter put the decals in the same place as the originals, and that's where they are going to stay. At some point, I'm not going to let perfection be the enemy of damn good!

Beautiful work Anthony! Just FYI you can shim the tailpiece to close the gap between it and the seat and to align the pin stripes.

Otherwise HOLY SH!T!

Comment

Yes, it's a beautiful bike, such attention to detail is praise-worthy. That's the only reason I submitted a remedy to the pin stripes. When I was painting these types of paint schemes, I taped the tail and the seat trim together and laid out the stripes so when assembled they would have a good chance of lining up. They never did that at the factory and that's why so many of them didn't line up. Knowing now they are under clear, my suggestion won't work w/o a total respray. As nice as it is, the stripes are always going to draw a comment when compared to how great the rest of the bike looks. Just trying to help..I apologize if it came off as being critical.

1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

In this instance, the juice isn't worth the squeeze, if you know what I mean. Suzuki never intended the stripes to line up from the tail to the trim piece to the tank, and trying to make this happen will require some serious additional $$$
              ? you could figure a clever cheap 'engineered' fix !

great stuff. Thanks.
              1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                Beautiful work Anthony! Just FYI you can shim the tailpiece to close the gap between it and the seat and to align the pin stripes.

Otherwise HOLY SH!T!
                Rudy,

You gave me an idea... I didn't take a good photo of this, but the bottom of my rear tail piece sits about 3/16" below the bottom of my seat trim piece. If both pieces were even, my stripes would line up perfectly - apparently, my painter did in fact rest both pieces on a flat surface and line up the stripes before laying clear over them.

I will post pics of the solution this weekend...
                René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  Yes, it's a beautiful bike, such attention to detail is praise-worthy. That's the only reason I submitted a remedy to the pin stripes. When I was painting these types of paint schemes, I taped the tail and the seat trim together and laid out the stripes so when assembled they would have a good chance of lining up. They never did that at the factory and that's why so many of them didn't line up. Knowing now they are under clear, my suggestion won't work w/o a total respray. As nice as it is, the stripes are always going to draw a comment when compared to how great the rest of the bike looks. Just trying to help..I apologize if it came off as being critical.
                  Long story short, read the response I wrote to Rudy... When I got home from work I checked the lineup (like in your photos) and my painter did in fact do what you described. I need to raise the rear tailpiece a smidge and there will be no more trouble in paradise :-)
                  René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    I like them better than the oval.
                    The up and down adjustability is nice.
                    Price?
                    I ordered the round ones today - more expensive but I think they will work out better.
                    René Descartes

Comment

Long story short, read the response I wrote to Rudy... When I got home from work I checked the lineup (like in your photos) and my painter did in fact do what you described. I need to raise the rear tailpiece a smidge and there will be no more trouble in paradise :-)
                      Ahh..must've missed that post. I have the utmost confidence that you'll be able to fix it..'cause admit it, it would drive you crazy, too.. I had to shim the tail section on my S also so that the bottom edge would line up with the seat trim. It's all in the details, and you are a master of that as evidenced with this build.
                      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Dooooooood. Just wow... Seeing a bike that clean makes me extremely happy. What a beaut! Also, my vote goes toward the round black mirrors you just found. Don't worry about the black between parts matching exactly unless it's two body panels. Black varying between parts is A) a lot less noticeable B) generally still looks good C) widely accepted because anyone who has ever built something of varying metals and finishes knows it's darn near impossible to get a match part to part/brand to brand. In the end, most people who lay eyes on the bike will be almost entirely distracted by the overwhelming cleanliness of the bike anyway.

Comment

A full wes cooley front fairing?

Comment

What a beautiful build. Better than new! At this rate it will be BOM before it is even finished...
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
                              A full wes cooley front fairing?
                              Not likely :-)
                              René Descartes

Comment

OPERATION MAKE THE PINSTRIPES LINE-UP
                                Idea: Shim the tail piece upward by placing a couple washers/spacers underneath the standoffs that mount to the rear fender.
                                Problem: Once the piece is moved upward 1/8" to 3/16", the threaded studs on each standoff are not long enough to install a nut to clamp it to the fender (insufficient thread enagegment)
                                Solution: Make shoulder nuts from 5/16" grade 5 bolts. Cut them down, drill them on center, tap for M6-1.0 threads, and voila!

Right Side:

Left Side (not perfect, but significantly better, the striping is a bit high on the left side seat trim):
                                René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                                X