Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS675RM (Retro-Mod)

Hi all,

Been lurking for quite a while. I picked up a 1981 gs550l for free from a coworker who wanted it gone a little over a year ago. It's been slow progress as I was still finishing my first build (BMW R80). That project is officially "finished" (They're never really finished though) and I'm finally full speed ahead on the Suzuki. Now that I've gotten enough done to look like real progress I wanted to start sharing my build.

Here's what she looked like when I got her home.

Did some work on the carbs, replaced the battery, and got her to start up and run before i started the tear down.

My goal in this is full blown Resto Mod. Something in the Style of AC Sanctuary, Bull Dock, etc. Using the 1978 GS550e lines as the basis, updating the styling, components, and performance to bring this gal up to the modern day.

Calling her a GS675RM. Did some easy Ipad photo editing to get an idea of what I'm shooting for.

So far I've completed the following:
    - swapped in a 2007 gsxr600 front end
    - coginito moto triple tree drilled for a protaper bar and installed
    - L tank and body work replaced for 1978 gs550e components.
    - Frame modified to accept tank and body work
    - Modified Seat Pan and shaped foam. Needs upholstry
    - Mocked up Side covers. I'm planning on making these out of fiberglass.
    - Mocked up rear shocks to get the rake/trail/stance that i want.
    - Bracket made to mount gs550e tail light

There are going to be tons of other little things, but here are a couple of the other big ticket items:
    - GS650 top end swap. I already have the top end components. Going to start tearing down the 550 engine soon to start the swap. Planning on a full tear down so i can properly clean the engine and give it a fresh coat of ceramic paint.
    - Updating to 17" front and rear spoked wheels. Already have a gs1000 rear hub which should work with only a bearing swap. I'll be purchasing a cognito moto front hub for the front wheel.
    - Full rewire. Leaning towards a Motogadget M-unit.

On to some pictures of where the build currently stands.

and just for fun, here's two of my bmw

Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2014, 03:08 PM. Reason: resizing photos

When people start off with an L then post some photoshop pic of their dream it's always hit or miss. But, seeing your current progress as well as the work you did on that BMW I'm in for the long run. Keep it up.

Comment

Should be a great bike when you are done. Diggin the Beemer too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Should be a great bike when you are done. Diggin the Beemer too.
        Indeed - looking good! Beemer is sweet.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Subscribed. That bmw is hot lil number
          1984 GS550ES
          Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
          4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Welcome to the site.
            I like the look of the mock-up. Spokes rule!
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

For the rewire you may want to check out Posplayr's solid state power box setup.
              Diggin the Beemer also.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                For the rewire you may want to check out Posplayr's solid state power box setup.
                Diggin the Beemer also.
                Appreciate the kind words everybody. I picked up the beemer for cheap. As a first project I couldn't ask for more. Easy to work on and about as reliable as they come. I've got the bug for sure.

Thanks for sharing Posplyr's solid state power box. In all my searching around here I never came across it. and at less than half the price of the m-unit it is something I will definitely be looking into.

Comment

well, unfortunately I haven't been able to do a whole lot on the bike this week. At least I was able to finish up the bracket for the tail light and license plate and get them mounted up. Planning on getting the headlight mounts, turn signal mounts, and steering stops finished before I start on the engine mods.

Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

pulled some pictures of what I needed to do to make the E tank fit the L frame.

Rear bracket cut up and bent out of a piece of angle iron. Welded a nut to the back side. Tank rests solidly on the back rubber.

Front brackets were cut off, still need to grind everything down smooth. There's a hole already in place in the L Frame slightly forward and down. Just used a piece of threaded rod, a couple nuts and washers. Took the dremel to the front rubbers and they fit snugly in place. (sorry for the dark pictures...)

Overall, turned out to be a pretty easy modification. Bonus that the front hole, and support rubber in the back made the tank parallel to the lines of the subframe without any other changes. I can't stand the weird broken spine look these had off the manufacturing line. With different lines between the tank, seat, and cowl.

Comment

Slow progress, had to hold off on the zook for a little bit to give the bmw some needed attention. Back at it again. Turn signals, headlight, and tail light mounts finished up (minus any final painting of course...)

Comment

Finished detabbing the frame. Next up, adding new brackets for side covers and electronics tray.

The back here will be hidden under the cowl. Just welded it closed and cleaned off the ends. You can see the new tabs for the rear turn signals as well.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

After opening this thread reading the first paragraph and seeing the first pic of the GS, I and I imagine everybody else wanted to see a pict of the BMW.
                          You did not disappoint!
                          Thank you!!!
                          I will be paying attention to this thread.
                          I am really diggin the photos of your work on it so far.
                          Nice homemade shiny parts and engineering.
                          Jealous as I have not the equipment or the skill for this myself.

Comment

Frame has been "re-tabbed" Added in mounts for the side covers, electronics tray, rearsets, and one for the rear brake reservoir. Cleaned off about 90% of the old paint off the frame. Going to clean up the rest as best I can before repainting. A lot of it came off a little too easy, so I wanted to make sure I have a good surface to bond to when I paint the frame. All the metal looked good underneath. No rust showing anywhere.

I designed some pieces to be able to mount on a pair of GSXR Rearsets. Those, along as the steering stop should be arriving from the machine shop tomorrow. Excited to get them mounted up.

This is one of the Rearset Mounts. It will also act as a spacer for the Swingarm Axle. Just like the stock units do.

Here's a shot of the additional bracket I added to the frame to support everything

Not a huge fan of blending welds, but I needed to make sure I had a flat surface to mount up to. I think there is plenty of weld around the backside to support everything

And the Steering Stop. This is going to bolt up to the upper triple tree and also act as a dustcover for the upper bearing.

Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Player... impressed, great skills.
                              The BMW is very nice, I want to build one myself one day after finishing about three builds that are waiting.

Sorry but I have to ask... why a 550? R80 well understand that but a 550?
                              Love what your doing but if you cant fit a 1100 in there I struggle to see the point.

You got the bike cheap, yep got that... and there are some nice part going on this $$$ lots of your time. Impressed.
                              But its a 550.

Brother in-law had a Kat GS650 shafty and it was not a grunt machine, only good for commuting really.
                              As a pimple headed 13yr old when he brought it new that was all I wanted.
                              Never did get one and wont.
                              Maybe I am missing the point!

That said ... loving your skills and will be watching....(550 why)
                              Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                              The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

Working...
                              X