Scott's Used and Abused GS(X)750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott's Used and Abused GS(X)750

My original thread got deleted so I'm starting a new one.

Was given this old GS in a sorry state, think its time to start the re-build.
    I will not be restoring back to standard as it will just be too expensive.
    I have a bit of new mixed with the old technology in mind with this bike.
    Hope I don't upset any purists on the forum .

So far I have determined that one coil is dead, got it to fire on the outer cyl's.
    Carbs have been worked on using a jack hammer, and the wiring is interesting to say the least.
    Somebody sprayed the entire bike (still assembled) with black paint.

On the plus side, tank has zero rust inside which surprised me as this bike came from Cape Town and corrosion is a problem down there.

This was last year when I collected her:
    IMG-20130823-00037.jpg

other side
    IMG-20130823-00038.jpg

Comment

engine
      IMG-20130823-00039.jpg

Comment

Back
        IMG-20130823-00040.jpg

Comment

That poor bike.

Looks like the front end is thoroughly trashed... forks, headlight, dash. Maybe do a front-end swap on it? Aside from being coated in black paint and being a rust-fest overall, the rest doesn't look too bad.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

You are a man of vision. I don't see much there worth salvaging. Maybe if the engine isn't stuck and you got a clear title.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
              That poor bike.

Looks like the front end is thoroughly trashed... forks, headlight, dash. Maybe do a front-end swap on it? Aside from being coated in black paint and being a rust-fest overall, the rest doesn't look too bad.
              Have something in mind like Agemax did on his 1100, will be a long project to get it to look half as good!

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
              You are a man of vision. I don't see much there worth salvaging. Maybe if the engine isn't stuck and you got a clear title.
              Engine turns no problem, as I said, got it to fire on 2 cyls.
              Title or papers I don't have unfortunately. May be able to re-register it provided a police clearance comes back clean.
              May be a good idea to do that before starting any serious work on it!

Comment

Struggling to find a GS750E coil, can I use one from any other GS?

Comment

Originally posted by Crank View Post
                  Struggling to find a GS750E coil, can I use one from any other GS?
                  I have a set of coils on my 1100E from a mid 90's GSXR600 and they bolted straight on to the original coil mounts so I would say yes. I think the only divide is between the bikes with points and the electronic ignitions, they may not be compatible IIRC.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

And so the project starts!

I have located a full set of carbs and a coil that I will be collecting this evening.
                    The carbs on the bike have been butchered, broken float posts, all 4 pilots are a stuck mangled mess at the bottom of the tubes, just generally effed up.

Job for this weekend is to get the motor to run, do compression test and maybe valve adjustment.

The 2 Stroke group I am part of recently attended and raced at the HMG (South African Historic Motorcycle Group) race day at Midvaal Raceway.
                    I was pleased to learn that they recently added a "Class B" to their racing format. Bikes up until '85, changes only to suspension and brakes, no changes to original frame geometry, original motor etc.

So this bike will become a track only machine, all road going bits removed. 17" Wheels, early 90's GSX front suspension and brakes.
                    Not sure how the 750 will fare against the 11's and Katana's but will be fun all the same.

Plan is to have it ready by the first event next year.

Any tips and advise on suspension and track prep on these old machines will be appreciated.
                    I am particularly worried about motor and exhaust clearance in the corners.

Comment

So got the carbs and coil (Thanks Mike!!)

Fair amount of work needed on the carbs, but I'm sure between the 2 sets I can build a nice complete set.
                      Serious need for a strip and dip, seems they had some water in them at some point.
                      DSCN2941.jpg

Comment

Is there a way to post more than 1 pic per post?

DSCN2942.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Crank View Post
                          Is there a way to post more than 1 pic per post?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36543[/ATTACH]
                          The easiest way is to post links to pics hosted elsewhere, such as PhotoBucket or the like.

BikeCliff has a good tutorial here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...t_pictures.pdf
                          1982 GS1100GL (Sold )(Retrieved!)
                          1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
                          1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
                          1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
                          1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
                          1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
                          1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
                          1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
                          1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
                          1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

Originally posted by Stahlgrau333 View Post
                            The easiest way is to post links to pics hosted elsewhere, such as PhotoBucket or the like.

BikeCliff has a good tutorial here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...t_pictures.pdf
                            Thanks Stahlgrau.

Comment

Spent most of the weekend cleaning, checking and re-building the carbs.
                              Used an old electric croc pot with vinegar, water and some lemon flavoured cleen green and boiled them for a few hours.
                              All passages etc seem to be clean. Where do the 3 small holes just behind the butterfly connect to?

Also, what is the float height measurement for the 750, naught came up in a search, or is there a downloadable workshop manual?

Thanks
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X