No announcement yet.

Chapter 2 - Crazy GS850 Ride from Victoria to Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry about it Robert, every minute iwas well worth it seeing that you're on your way and running great. Besides I'm just passing things forward really, I've been in a few situations where I needed help and people went FAR above and beyond for me, like I said, people helping people.....it's the biking thing. Welcome back to the club.....
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Just in case anyone is wondering, Robert and his bike did make it safely home to Toronto. I"m sure he'll ad in the details when he is settled.
      Rob
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hello all,

So I've decided this 850 and I are going to get along after all. 7 days, about 650kms (400 miles) per day. I updated up to day 2 below. Day 3 I hit the prairies. Let's just say I may not have been exactly following the posted speed limit. I find the 850 really solid in turns, good fun to ride. Went through Medicine Hat, Swift Current and Moose Jaw (gotta love Canadian place names).Bought a new helmet, plugs, oil. She used just under 2 litres for the 5000kms I put on her. Pushed into Crooked Lake Provincial Park, Saskatchewan to camp. Big mistake. They've had so much rain that the whole valley is infested with mosquitos and the dragon flys that eat them. See the picture of two that I pulled out of the engine the next day. The bike stunk of them for a day, though I cleaned what I could. So that was my one night in a Motel (Moosemin Saskatchewan). Day 4 started with 2 hours of mist and fog. Thought I heard a hissing noise from the engine that worried me for a while. Later in the day I figured out it was probably the dragonfly carcases stuck in the engine crevices getting soaked with the fog and then hissing in the hot engine.

Stopped before that to pull the ignition cover because Rob(azr) noticed a little oil in there in Victoria. All good. Nice and dry now. Bought a new headlight on the way and installed it that evening at Rushing River campground just past Kelona Ontario (yeah, made it to Ontario).

Day 5 a great more great Ontario norther roads. These roads come alive at a certain speed. Really great riding, past Sioux narrows, and Fort Frances, Aitikokan and past Thunder Bay to Sleeping Giant park. . Another great campground that evening

Day 6 I made Sault St. Marie and stayed with family. Left bright and early to make it home in time to pick up the kids from School.

All I can say is I love this bike. The ride was awesome. It's great to have two GS's in the garage now. An oil/filter change and valve clearance check are on the agenda.

So thanks everyone for help along the way. Especially Rob(AZR), Trevor and OldVet, plus everyone who weighed in with my electrical issues.

It was a great adventure.

Oh and I ended up bringing the car battery back with me (hey it's new and I got it to fit my car). Never needed it. As Rob said the charging system worked beautifully all the way back.

Rob

Comment

Great trip story Robert. I've heard about those Northern Ontario roads, one of these days for sure. Gald you bought a new helmet, that other one was looking like it needed to be on a 'vintage' shelf. We'll send you out a sticker for you new one if you want. Now all you need is a new set of mirrors!! Great to see a new love forming there, I tell you that 850 will take you absolutely anywhere. Now what you need to really do is turn the 850 into a stock bike for touring with the wife and hot rod that 1000 of yours
          Rob

Comment

Working...
          X