No announcement yet.

78 GS1000, next project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thats good enough for me. If I decide to go with rebuilding the 78 engine thats what I will do. I am really considering putting the GSX1100 engine in it. I do not know the condition of the spokes so I was thinking of replacing them with new. Are they avaliable? I know I saw some one on here mention that Mikes xs carries a set that will fit these rims. Is there a stronger set of spokes I can use to re-lace the rims? If I go with the GSX engine I would feel better with heavier gauge spokes on the rear at least.

Comment

Today I went and picked up one of the bikes I purchased. I bought this one a bout a year ago and the guy has been storing it for me since then. I thought it was and he told me it was a 80. Turns out it is actually a 78 and it is a complete bike. It is not that rough shape but it does not have a title. So this one will be a parts bike. It has the wrong tank I think, I might be wrong but shouldn't this have a skunk tank? Here are a bunch of pictures of the first of 2 bikes.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2014, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Yes, all of the 78s have the indented tank
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

20140914_152021.JPGThats what i thought. I guess this one has the wrong tank. Good thing the other one has the correct tank. I am trying to get pictures up but some thing is wrong. Il get them up later tonight
          Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

20140914_152037.JPG
            What has changed with the site. it will only let me attach one picture per post and is is not accepting anything from photobucket. Can anyone help me with this.

Comment

I also recently bought a 78 GS1000 and am entirely rebuilding it! I wish you the best of luck and I am excited to see what you do with yours!

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]36460[/ATTACH]
                What has changed with the site. it will only let me attach one picture per post and is is not accepting anything from photobucket. Can anyone help me with this.
                Could only do 1 pic per post that way ever.Photobucket can be "cranky" at times,I just try later if it gives me grief.Posted a pic today,no problem.The bike in your attachments looks to be a 79.It's hard to tell for sure with the touring package on but the rear cowl looks to be smooth and the heat shields on the 'Jammer would make the choke lever on the 78 inaccessible.Bet there's a choke nob on the steering head.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                  yep your riight, there is a choke knob on the triples. I though it was a 78 because the date stamp on the frame is 9/78. I didn't realize they used that type of choke on the mechanical carbs, which it has. It also does not have an indented tank so I figured someone changed it out or sold it and put this one on it. Glad the other gs I picked up has a indented tank.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Ok now I got it to take my photos ill upload more larger pictures. Ok so heres a new question. Can I use the both of rotors from this rim on my spoked rim so I can have dual calipers. I kind of like the solid looking rotors but I do have a set of slotted rotors from the parts 850 I had sitting in the garage from the girlfriends build. Can I use the later rotors on earlier rims? Did they change the bolt pattern or hub dimensions? How about, can I use the later calipers with these rotors and rims? I have a few spare sets of those.

[IMG][/IMG]
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    Believe it or not but the tank has almost no rust on the inside. So at least I can use it as is with a paint job of course.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Most of those questions are answered in the early posts of my 78 GS1000 thread linked in my sig.

Comment

Working...
                      X