First shakedown run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First shakedown run

In August I decided to just bite the bullet and repair the charging, the wiring harness, pull wheels, grease bearings, clean and adjust carbs, paint, scrub, fluff, primp, and spend some dough and make it right. It gave me the opportunity to put it back together slowly and the right way verses trusting that all the who knows how many clowns who owned it before I did.

I got it back together enough to get it fired and ride it around for 30 minutes today at no more than 30mph just to start shakin it down. Set the idle at about 1200 rpm and it stayed there. Carboration has cleaned up tremendously but still a tad shaky if i roll on at very low revs. Thought one size up on pilot might clean that up?

But i was just on cloud nine and really appreciate the help. i was continually refered to the manuals instead of just giving me some quick try this which got me to properly diagnose and make the bike right. I appreciate the help and i really enjoy the little GS. I am glad my wife brought it home for me or else i might not have discovered just how incredible this line of bikes really was

Originally posted by jeffgs View Post
    Carboration has cleaned up tremendously but still a tad shaky if i roll on at very low revs. Thought one size up on pilot might clean that up?
    Before you go through the effort of pulling the carbs, why not turn the pilot (mixture) screw out a bit. Try 1/4 turn. If that doesn't work, try another 1/4.
    Pilot jetting changes are VERY seldom needed, even with pods and a pipe.

Where are the screws set now? Should have set them about 3 turns out as a starting point, then tweaked for best idle and/or throttle response. They might have ended up in the 2 to 2 1/2 turn range, but every carb is different, which means that your two carbs might not be set exactly the same.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I started at 1.5 then went to 2 and set the idle after the bike was good and warm. I did go 2.5 when it was warming up and it seemed to surge but the idle was at about 2000 and was not warm so tomo i will try it again. I went with 2 out because that is what the tuturial said for stock air box and pipes but i will work my way up to 3 tomorrow and will let you know how it worked out.

Comment

BTW Steve, it only got to about 65 today so if these bikes are a touch lean I guess I should expect a lil hesitation?

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve;2109663]Before you go through the effort of pulling the carbs, why not turn the pilot (mixture) screw out a bit. Try 1/4 turn. If that doesn't work, try another 1/4.
          Pilot jetting changes are VERY seldom needed, even with pods and a pipe.

Where are the screws set now? Should have set them about 3 turns out as a starting point, then tweaked for best idle and/or throttle response. They might have ended up in the 2 to 2 1/2 turn range, but every carb is different, which means that your two carbs might not be set exactly the same.

.[/QUOTE

I ended up at 2.5 turns out. It lashes a lil bit at load, gear too high and rolling on from low rpm, but it is intermittent and smooths out above 2000. I think totally acceptable at this point. To be fair I was trying to make it do this and probably would not ride it this way normally. I do not ride it hard but i do not normally lug it either.

I appreciate the advise as always. You have been very helpfull

Comment

Good to hear that you are on the path to GS happiness, of course you do know that without pictures or video, it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              Good to hear that you are on the path to GS happiness, of course you do know that without pictures or video, it didn't happen.
              Got da pics brotha, got the pics. I will put it together soon for a small build tread but I want it to be helpful. The main problem i see is you and Jeep and that darn Barn rescue thread are making me a lil timid! ;-) Some of you guys gotta chill out so I can catch up! And the kids have to eat ya know

Comment

2014-09-13 10.30.01.jpg

Progress so far. Not chopping anything and it will have all the body work. Blacking it out and the bodywork will probably be desert tan. Stock pipes and air box but I had to have a drag bar. I guess a mild resto mod. Want to ride it to the GS get together in IN. No big deal just want a very nice, reliable standard

Comment

hahaha, you worry too much, we nuthin' don't mind us.
                  Now Rustybronco, Nessim, and never2old (Dale,Ed,Larry, scare the crap out of me.) their work makes Jennifer look like a rat bike.
                  I know about kids eating, just spent 4 years trying to skim as much as I could off the grocery money every month without Swambo noticing.
                  My only hope is that one day when I die, she does not sell it for what I told her it cost.
                  post that build thread, I will be following with interest.

Comment

Working...
                  X