Piston Ring Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston Ring Fitting

Hi guys, I now have all the bitz ready for my rebuiild after many problems.
    When I came to fit the rings however, I came on this issue:
    The bottom rings are OK....book says no particular way up for these.
    The top ring is easily identifiable by the chrome ring on the outside.
    2nd ring is the one left..! So far so good.
    However, the manual says the top rings should be marked and to fit with that uppermost.
    The new rings I have (Suzy OEM) do not appear to have these markings.
    Looking at the book, the picture seems to suggest that the orientation of the top ring is not an issue.
    The 2nd ring however has a chamfer and so correct orientation IS important.
    For the life of me I can't see any real chamfer on these 2nd rings....see photo.

IhGPlkk.jpg

Have checked forum posts but couldn't find anything..?

Can anyone advise on this please..?

Is 'the book' the 550/750 Haynes manual? If so, it confused the hell out of me as well. I looked at old rings and new OEM rings for hours. Eventually I decided that either Haynes was leading me up the garden path, or my eyesight was so rubbish that I'd never be able to orientate the rings correctly. I ended up just putting them in.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Does the piston ring grove have a chamfer? If not then it should make no difference.

If the grove has a chamfer then that ring you have is incorrect.
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Manual is the genuine Suzuki service manual.
        Chamfer supposed to be on the outside edge contacting cylinder wall

YyPXQnK.jpg

Cheers

Comment

I see what you mean now. Thought you meant it was supposed to be a wedge style ring. Typically there would be writing or a small dot on the ring, this would be the topside of the ring. If there are no markings then the ring can go either way.
          looking at your ring it is a non-wedge so it can go either way unless there is a mark identify up.

daryl
          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Hi all, thanks for replies but I was still concerned so tried Suzuki UK customer services. It took a few days but I got an answer:

We have forwarded your enquiry internally to our Technical Department who can confirm the following:

1) Checking the GS550 Genuine Suzuki Piston Ring Set part number 12140-47031 the Top Compression Piston Ring (rounded/chamfered) has a T stamped on it and this faces upwards.
            2) The 2nd Compression Piston Ring also has a T stamped on it and this faces upwards.
            3) The Oil Control Ring rails have no fitment direction and can be fitted either way.
            4) The Oil Control Ring Expander has no fitment direction and can be fitted either way and requires the Oil Control Ring Expander to be " butt- fitted " into the Piston Ring Land.

I then took a MUCH closer look at the rings and using a strong led light and magnifying glass........finally located the markings.
            These are quite small and not easy to see (for my older eyes anyway!). They are in the same place on all the 1st and 2nd rings........see photo:

7dBO61c.jpg

Hope this is useful to anybody doing the same thing.

Comment

piston ring id

Hi all, thanks for replies but I was still concerned so tried Suzuki UK customer services. It took a few days but I got an answer:

We have forwarded your enquiry internally to our Technical Department who can confirm the following:

1) Checking the GS550 Genuine Suzuki Piston Ring Set part number 12140-47031 the Top Compression Piston Ring (rounded/chamfered) has a T stamped on it and this faces upwards.
              2) The 2nd Compression Piston Ring also has a T stamped on it and this faces upwards.
              3) The Oil Control Ring rails have no fitment direction and can be fitted either way.
              4) The Oil Control Ring Expander has no fitment direction and can be fitted either way and requires the Oil Control Ring Expander to be " butt- fitted " into the Piston Ring Land.

I then took a MUCH closer look at the rings and using a strong led light and magnifying glass........finally located the markings.
              These are quite small and not easy to see (for my older eyes anyway!). They are in the same place on all the 1st and 2nd rings........see photo:

7dBO61c.jpg

Hope this is useful to anybody doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
              X