No announcement yet.

1981 gsx400l project/complete rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took a few pictures today while installing the head gasket. I wasn't sure what way the head gasket went so I put the "H" mark up. Got the bike running after the new gaskets were installed, so that's a plus!

spent an hour or so scraping the old gasket off

This is a photo of the new head I swapped in.
    [URL=http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/C_ouellet/media/1981%20400L/DSC_0439_zpszkoozasl.jpg.html][/URL

Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Alright I'm back, been away for the last two months on vacation. I just started getting back into fixing this thing. A few updates; got the wheels powder coated, now I'm looking for tires. Open to suggestions!
      Also bought all new wheel bearings and rear brake shoes.
      Also bought an upswept rear hoop, I think it should look good.

Comment

Alright so its been a while since I've posted, been busy with work and also got a cb250 that was road worthy so I'm out enjoying that every chance I get.
        wheels have now been powder coated, got bearings in them and also bought some IRC Durotour 310 tires from American motorcycle tires. I went with the 100/90/19 (front) and 120/90/16 (rear). Those are the factory sizes as far as I know, and one of the few options for matching both tires together. Tires shipped fast, would recommend the site. Side note; I've got to get some finishing paint so I can hide the wheel weights!
        I had a bit of rust on my rotor so I put it on the lathe and took some sand paper to it. I figured if I tried machining it I'd end up taking too much off. Now my rotor is rust free sitting at 4.85mm (replace at 4.4mm). I also painted it black.
        I also finished my LED display, I've bought a Suzuki clip so I can plug it directly into the exiting harness, that way everything is reversible.

link to my new tires: http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...ath=33_145_151

Comment

oh,man. Lookit all that nice stuff!! and hard work too! Carry on!

Comment

Those wheels look great! Where did you get them powder coated? Would love to have my wheels refinished over the winter. Awesome work on your bike!
            '81 GS1000GL
            sigpic

"Feelin' good is good enough..."

Comment

I got them done from a coworkers brother, he works for a company that powder coats railings and window frames. I've heard if you get a company that does railings to powder coat your automotive stuff it will be much cheaper then somewhere that specializes in automotive powder coating. I did all the prep work myself and in the end it only cost me $60 for both wheels I couldn't say no to that price!

Comment

Chris, great work and steady progress. I'm always glad to see a bike bike brought back from the dead and yours is shaping up nicely. thanks for taking the time to post all of this so we can share.

Comment

SMALL PROGRESS (pictures included)

A few small updates; got the wheels back on, they aren't on for good as I still want to clean up the bracket that holds down the disk and clean up or buy new bolts. I also need 1 rear wheel tensioner. (PO removed it to take the chain off to roll the bike into his truck. He probably tossed it out as the odds of this thing ever running again were slim to none!)
                  I went ahead and tucked all the wiring harness back where it belongs, I regret taking all that time to remove it and do nothing to it! I've got my LED board in working order but still need to solder and head shrink all the connections once I make sure the high beam indicator light works. I also bought a new headlight that has built in turn signals, I think it will make the bike look pretty slick.
                  Also went ahead and got some slugs for the rear hoop, that should make welding it in a lot easier and stronger.
                  I wanted to do a 2-1 exhaust but at the price of $300+ for a really long megaphone style that I don't particularly like I think ill just stick with my stock header pipes and just add some 18'' shorty pipes available on ebay for $100 for the pair. Does anybody know if these will have a much different flow rate than the stock pipes? I don't really want to be pulling my hair out rejetting the carbs once I get it running. Some imput would be great.

Enjoy some photos of my slow progress

Comment

Looks like ill be doing some cyber Monday shopping and buying some 17" reverse style megaphones. I'm hoping if I buy them on dimecitycycles that the quality will be better than the ebay cheapos. The reviews sound good, the overall complaint is that they are not packed enough with fiberglass material, leaving them really loud. You can however open the cone up and repack them. I will most likely sandblast and paint the header with black heat resistant paint, despite everyone telling me how cool exhaust wrap looks.

link to mufflers

Comment

brake rebuild help

Hopefully ill be working on the bike this weekend. I'm hoping to rebuild the caliper and master cylinder and order a steel braided brake line. Does anybody have any helpful tips to offer up? I've already got the piston out of the caliper, should I do a light sanding of sorts before putting the new piston in?

Comment

Looking good. Heck of a deal on the PC. I just dropped off a set of fork lowers at a PC shop...$100 US for that job.

Comment

Small amounts of progress being made, I've managed to put off rebuilding the brakes for another week, now that I think of it I also forgot to take measurements for a steel braided line. I managed to take some engine parts off my spare engine to paint them, maybe I'll grab some new gaskets this weekend and start transferring them over onto the bike. The exhaust is also mocked up and doesn't look too bad in my opinion. I think I'm getting close to having it done, it needs a new chain, front brakes rebuilt, some fab work to get the tank and rear hoop in place, finishing up some electrical work and that's about it I think.

Comment

Took all the cylinder head cover bolts and brought them over to the wire wheel. They turned out nice

Comment

Subscibed.

Comment

Any update on this project?

Comment

Working...
                                X