No announcement yet.

GS1000G Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 1100 looks to be untouched after all these years. I have yet to find any signs of it ever being torn apart. The carbs still have the plugs in the mixture screws, it even has the little bag of tools under the seat. 23000 on the speedo. To bad it didn't come with a title.

Comment

Made my first ride today, around the block at least. The bike idles not to bad. It didn't really want to pull past second gear. When i started it up it was missing on one cylinder. More tuning, it will come alive.

One thing i thought was kind of strange it seemed like it wanted to pull to the right a little bit. Might just be me.

Any way im very happy to finally get a moment of seat time.

Comment

If you are getting pulling make sure the fork stanchions are straight and parallel. I've had issues with that in the past albeit on rental scooters that I was "fleet" mechanic on.

Comment

I pulled the hacked up wire harness and transplanted the harness out of the parts bike. Its nice having all the wireing where its suppose to be.

When i test rode it the other day it dies when i pulled up in front of my house and i could net get it to start after that. Today i pulled the carbs again and shot carb through all the passages real well and pulled and checked all the jets. It took some fiddling to get it to start back up. Now i have the carbs tuned as good as i can get them at the moment but its running very well. Next i am going to dig out my gauge set and sync the carbs and give it good test run.

After i am happy with how it is running it will be paint time.

Comment

Looking like a motorcycle for sure now. Just tell that speed demon in that last pic to take it easy on her. Lol.

Comment

i hate winter, its to cold to get out and work on the bike. I did manage to put a few miles on it over the weekend. I made one run down the road and it ran good but it would bog around mid throttle if i cranked the throttle open then it would take off like a rocket. I am going to to pull the carbs again and order a o-ring kit for them and the intakes and some new spark plugs. i may also order new OEM jets, who knows some one could have taken a drill bit to them at some time.. then i will try again after that.

Comment

Nice progress, that is a cool bike you have and it's gonna be great when you're done

Don't forget to check your electrical system - the stator, regulator, and battery, and also your ignition coils and plug caps. These are all relatively easy tests you can perform with a VOM. Electrical testing needs to be done with a good battery (I found that out sort of the hard way), and you can use a spare container for fuel, in case your petcock isn't working right and not supplying enough fuel.

Just some ideas - I say this because I had some similar stuff go on with decent idle, a 'dead spot', and then some random bursts of power. My bike had bad plug caps and coils so I wasn't running on all 4, and I found that bypassing my tank made the bike run better.

I got a new petcock from a seller on eBay in Washington I believe, who imports and stocks Suzuki petcocks and sells them at a fair price.

Comment

Oh happy day, finally got some miles on the bike. Went for a 30 mile round trip today. Its running nice and smooth and pulls like a mule. to bad the weather is turning to crap for a while. I have a few more finishing touches then i will get it inspected and licensed.

Last week i filled the tank with cider vinegar and let it set for a few days. That really does wonders to a rusty tank, found a pin hole that i soldered up.

I have never used seafoam before, dumped some in the tank along with a bottle of heet and the old bike really smoothed out after some riding.

This is my first Suzuki and i must say i have fell in love with how well it runs and rides.

After getting it legal it will get some nice new shiny paint. I have a simple paint job in mind that i think will look very good.

Cant wait to get many more miles on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X