Mf5822

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mf5822

This make me feel better. I live in Atlanta Georgia, Yes, the magical land of Pitbulls and Kudzu. I'm midlife and for the first time, unemployed. Chin up, carry on, but its certainly odd not getting up and going to work?

What to do to fill the downtime between interviews and general boredom around the house??? Road trip?! and explore the old back road cycle shops of Georgia and find a ultra cheap GS project to piddle on. At least, personally, the idea brought a needed diversion and a bit of a "pick me up".

So, last week I made list of 10 old cycle shops/junkyards addresses, filled the Jeep with gas and hit the road before light. I made it to the 3rd address about noon and chatted it up with a couple of "old guys". I said, "I needed a $100 tops project". One of them said, "for that money I would have to go way way way! in the back and dig deep". The new expensive stuff in in front and on top, have at it and see what you can find. Armed with a Maglite (to keep the emancipated mangy guard dogs at bay), the flashlight gleamed MF5822. I'm convinced that all bike shops have one of these buried way in the back. She was truly buried way way way in the back under 32 years of cycle carnage. MF5822 aptly named because it was a MF to dig out.

It was dark and past closing time before I was able to entangle her. Think hellish motorcycle "pick-up-sticks". He gave me a "Bill of Sale" and said "Wait a minute?" and went to his files. He found the keys for the bike and the title for this 1978 GS1000. He threw in 2 more seats with skunk trim and I did see confirm another 1978 GS1000 skunk bare frame and some other skunk trim sitting around. I'm going back thinking there has? to be another bike/skunk parts??? somewhere in the mess.

The next morning I pulled my $100 piddle out of the back of the Jeep. It was covered in 32 years of grime dust and poop. Bigfoot musta took a dump on it too at one time. Stink on top of stink. Looked worse than the seat. Under that was a layer of untouched wax. Washed off the tank, trim and wax this is what she is.

Picture time:

Anyway I will do a build to pass the downtime. I have no job so this will not be a restoration. I'm sorry to the pursuits, but I just can't afford it. Just a "make do build" with the parts I have laying around. I know my little shop needs cleaned a public build will help. Dad was an engineer and Mom was an artist. I'm the product of both. I've built several hotrods and this will be my first built cycle. PS: I have a Star Racing '82 GS1100e and another 1983 GS1100es and love old GS's in general. Thanks for your help. Here is the start of build - MF5822. T

Your project has a cool story right from the start. Good luck with it.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Fantastic beginning to what will be a great story of discovery, rescue and resurrection. I'll be following this with interest.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Subscribing to this one. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That should be a fun way to pass time. Don't have so much fun you forget to find a job! Best of luck on both the build and job search.

Comment

A Skunk is still a Skunk and that tank looks pretty good to me. Best of luck to you, and keep the pics coming.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

No motor ?

Tagged for interest...

Comment

Just sayin' ...

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Waited months for the "upper bearing guy" to make a couple of bearings.....and just getting around to the build.

A buddy has dropped GSXR1000 (well he wrecks them every year or so) and keeps his wrecks and parts bikes around. I went thru the junk pile and came up with a right front fork and a left front fork off of 2 2004 GSXR1000's, some 2006 GSXR1000 wheels and a 2004 swingarm/shock.

I thought the 2004 gold front brake calipers would match the little bit of gold pinstriping, but they don't fit the bigger rotors on 2006 wheels (2004 300mm rotors and 2006 310mm rotors). Agh! I guess I could have made some bushings to get the calipers backed off the rotor, but it was easier going back to him and returned his junk and and talked him out of 2006 front brake calipers and a 2006 swingarm.

Top shock tab is 3/16" chromoly. I think cutting diamonds would be easier.

Swing arm bolt for the 2006 GSXR1000 is hollow and bigger than 1/2" (and smaller than a 2004 GSXR1000 swingarm bolt) and a drilled it out to 5/8" and honed it to 16mm. Had to grind the GS axle bosses on the inside a few mm and slid in the factory GSXR1000 stainless? swingarm bearing sleeves without custom sleeves. Easier than expected. I think most of the other stuff has been done before. Its tigged tacked together and I will tear it down, finish tigging, and get it powder coated. Eyeballing the 6" rear wheel....I think its gonna fit??? Ill add a couple more pictures.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2015, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2015, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Where you gonna put the battery, providing there is one?
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Like the story.
                        Really like your photography also.
                        A good photo is worth a thousand words they say.
                        Though I am not familiar with all the mono shock conversion threads your picture really told me much needed about the bracing.

Comment

i have tried to fit a 2007 gsxr 750 swinger and 6 inch wheel to my 81 750... chainline went through the frame from the rear wheel..... im not sure about the 8V 1000 frames, but, just sayin. maybe with a 99 bandit 1200s (5.5"??) rear wheel and the sprocket/cush drive from the 6in wheel "should" line things up with your front sprocket. maybe. im trying to do the same. oh wait.... 6 puck vs 5 puck.... different ****. man, retrofitting old and new is challenging. cannot wait to see this finished.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                            Where you gonna put the battery, providing there is one?
                            Lay a L-Ion battery on its side in the tail toolbox. It should fit with modification.

Comment

Working...
                            X