Drew's 850 L Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final drive

Making a little more progress. Got the final drive all polished up, swing arm and shocks installed.

She is starting to resemble a motorcycle now. Next up is the rear wheel. Soon, she will be a roller!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

cush bushings

Replaced the cush bushings today. Had to take the old ones out to powdercoat the wheel. It was a bit fiddly, but this worked to press them in. Should have the rear wheel on by tomorrow!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Nice work! Did you have a similar wood bracket or peice of padded steel on the other side and did you cool them in the freezer or silicon/grease them up?
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
          Nice work! Did you have a similar wood bracket or peice of padded steel on the other side and did you cool them in the freezer or silicon/grease them up?
          Yes, there was another block of wood on the other side to sandwich it together. All I used for lube was dish soap.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Question, why did you replace these? I was just in my rear wheel to replace the drive spline, should I have done these too?

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            Replaced the cush bushings today. Had to take the old ones out to powdercoat the wheel. It was a bit fiddly, but this worked to press them in. Should have the rear wheel on by tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
              Question, why did you replace these? I was just in my rear wheel to replace the drive spline, should I have done these too?
              I doubt you have any need to replace them. They will probably last longer than the bike. I pulled mine out to powdercoat the wheel, since I doubt they would have withstood the 400 degree temps. Since they were out, I decided to replace with new ones.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Rear wheel done!

Whew! This was quite the ordeal. Rear wheel is finally done. We have a roller! The past couple of weekends have been busy. Polished and powdercoated the wheel, pressed in new cush bushings and bearings, then mounted the tire. Then, I powdercoated the center and edge of the brake rotor and installed it, powdercoated the right side spacers and caliper mount, balanced the wheel and installed the whole wheel assembly. Oh, also installed a black driven gear from a 1980 850 thanks to a member here. Not too bad for a guy that had never really worked on a motorcycle (or cars for that matter) before finding this site 2 years ago.

Here's the proof!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Nothing better to look at than what appears to be a fresh from the factory model. Great job.!!
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Right on. Looking spiff!
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I've been slack on the updates, but not on the progress. I'll post some pics next weekend. But..... She lives again !!! Started her up today for the first time in 10 months. Still have to do a carb synch and dial everything in. Running a little rich right now. I'm 1 size over on the mains, 2-1/2 turns out on the mixture screws. I've been told that these bikes do better at sea level with the larger mains, but I'm not sure if that's quite right. I'll play with it. No road test yet, still have stuff hanging all over the place, but I'm happy.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

First ride!

Well I just couldn't wait till everything was finished. Took her for a ride around the neighborhood today. Boy that felt good! No lights, gauges, or fenders, so I just went a couple of blocks (a few times, hehe). Plenty of work left to do. Haven't even started on paint yet.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That's just the kind of motivation boost to on with the final push. Are you doing the paint yourself?
                          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Yes I am. It will be my first attempt to paint anything. Still trying to decide on the scheme.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Glad to see you're still at it on this, this bike will be so cherry when you're done.

I think I told you before, but I have the same bike and I can only hope they mine looks half as good as yours does one day!
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

It's next week, let's see some updated pics of your progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X