Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally jumped down the rabbit hole... Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally jumped down the rabbit hole... Again.

Long time no post! Like the new digs

So, a couple nights ago I finally took the plunge and stripped my suzuki down to bare frame. Since I last posted here (seems like ages ago) I had gotten it running, idling, etc. But then I stopped working on it again... So, I decided to go balls out and powdercoat the frame, subframe, wheels, and get the tank professionally painted. Also, I will be swapping the front end to a new age GSxR front end (full swap including wheel/rotors).

List of things to get done:
    -front end swap (should be a simple swap with bearings, but I can transplant the OE steering stem fairly easily)
    -finish grinding where the frame tabs used to be so it can be smoooooooth
    -find/fit a cafe tail section and paint to match the tank
    -Sandblast and powdercoat the frame, swingarm, and engine mount brackets (most likely flat black)
    -powdercoat wheels
    -figure out the headlight situation (new age LED or old school bulb)
    -make sure the carbs are clean and give them a final go through before putting them on
    -soda blast the motor
    -powdercoat the covers black
    -gasket set? Might just do the barrels, heads too
    -simplified wiring harness (Lights, motor)
    -ballistic battery
    -mac 4-1
    -cafe muffler
    -test ride
    -register

RIDE

Will post a couple pics soon! Just a pile of parts ATM.

Also, I will post pics of the aprilia I now ride!!

When I thought I was done...

When I was actually done later that night...

Comment

Come on , let's get that thing going!
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Cool project looks like a fun build !

What color/colors are you powder coating the frame, subframe and wheels?

When you say "tank professionally painted" do you mean something along the lines of this?

airbrushed.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          Come on , let's get that thing going!
          Haha I'm tryin!! Still need to ground down where the tabs were and my welds to make it a little more pretty. After that I will be carefully taking off the sticker for the VIN on the neck and placing it in my Suzuki folder (yes, Im 23 and actually have folders for my vehicles) and take it to the sandblaster (or just strip it myself which would be cheaper).

Originally posted by SNOWBLIND78 View Post
          Cool project looks like a fun build !

What color/colors are you powder coating the frame, subframe and wheels?

When you say "tank professionally painted" do you mean something along the lines of this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38008[/ATTACH]
          OH MY JEBUS. I need that artist info ASAP snow!!!
          Im probably going to do the frame matte black due to the pretty bad pitting in some parts, same with the swingarm.
          I actually and rethinking the whole tank being professionally painted. I just got some stuff at work called Lab metal filler. Supposedly good for powdercoating (has aluminum bits in it to make itself hold a charge) but my first experience with it was a disaster! Will have to try to figure out some kind of good process for it (which I did before) so it shouldnt be that bad.

also, found a nice tail that I think would suit the bike very well. Aluminum made to order off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-alumin...fb6b52&vxp=mtr Which means not only is it snazzy aluminum, I dont have to pay to get it painted, I just powdercoat it myself!
          Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

UPDATE

Just bought a GsXR front end (06-10 model year)!!! gonna buy the allballs fork conversion kit as well as find a top triple, axle, rim, brake disks.

see my suspension thread here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...me-on-geometry

Comment

Working...
            X