77 gs550, restoring it to (hopefully) good driving condition while studying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 gs550, restoring it to (hopefully) good driving condition while studying

Last desember i bought my first real mc, a gs550. The frame is from 1977, but it has cv carbs so im not really sure what year the engine is. Unfortunately i discovered shortly afterwards that the 2. gear was shot, and the engine didnt really run that well.
    Hoping to get it ready for summer, but im on a budget as im studying navigation so im going to do the repairs myself.

Status atm.:Sealed airfilterbox,bought new battery,basic check for damage on electrical system(looks ok and i have more than 12v with the new battery),changed tires,changed chain and currently i have my carbs in pieces and i plan to dip them when i when i find some cleaning soulution that i can get locally. one of the float needle seats was damaged and one of the mixture screws was almost stripped so i have to order replacements. Going down to the lokal ship builder next week to see if they have o-rings so i can change them at the same time.

Next on the list: Going to id the engine so i can buy a used transmission (or new dogs if i can get them), gaskets, and valve adjusting tools. Then ill measure, shim the valves and if i can manage it, repair the transmission.

Im new to multicarbureted and 4stroke mc engines so im hoping i dont end up spending all my time in the garage instead of riding
    Pic of the bike, on a trip before i started taking stuff apart.DSC_0414.jpg

Welcome! Don't go to your local shop for Orings, we have a member here that will sell you a kit that is correct. http://www.cycleorings.com/

Also, go here for all the info you will ever need on these beautiful old GS's. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

Update: Bought a 78mod bike locally with engine,vm carbs,original intake and airbox boots, airbox, what looks like original exchaust and seller assured me that the gear was ok on this one.
      Planning to make the engine ready to start in the bike its in now, and if it seems to run okay, im going to do a transplant.
      This way i have original setup(engine,carb,exchaust,airbox all from the same bike) and i have a better chance of getting stuff right. And i just ordered oring kits for both sets of carbs from cycleorings.

Comment

Working...
      X