79 GS 550e rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS 550e rebuild

Hello everyone. I am in the process of rebuilding my 550e i bought new in 79. it has sat for 28 years. I had a new top end in a box all this time. A Wisco 635 kit and Mege cycle road/race cams.
    here is a link to pictures of the progress. i am about 80% done at this time..

Very nice. That's a sweet exhaust. What is it and where did you find it?
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I had to have the fork tubes and header re chromed because of sever rust. I ported and polished the exhaust and port matched the intake to the boots
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2015, 11:40 PM.

Comment

It's a full Yoshimura i bought back in 80

Comment

Dang. Sure like to find one of those today for my 550 (673). Good looking rebuild. Keep it coming...
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

so a little more info on this build. i bought this bike new in 79. I had yoshimura build the first motor. a 635 kit with vm 29 smooth bores. a year after i had three gs550e's. sold two over the years but kept this one because it was the first thing i ever bought new. the old yosh motor is long gone but i had a new still in box Wisco 635 Big bore kit. and two motors in parts. i built this motor with the 636 kit. ported and polished the exhaust ports, port matched the intake ports to the Boot size. New valves, valve springs and 10 thou off the head. Mega cycle road/race cam's. New timing chain and guides. i still had the Yoshi exhaust and am installing it on this build. the bike has been stripped to nothing, cleaned, painted or replaced. the tank still needs to be stripped because of cracking in the paint. Im going to stay with the blue but add a Gun metal metallic stripe to the tank and side covers to match the gray rims. I painted everything Blue back in 80.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looking good! What kind of paint is that on the calipers?
                          sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

hi looking good, what sort of horse power do you expect when finished ,looks much better with a black frame I think.

Comment

So it took me 25 years to find out i got taken. I had a set of Mikuni VM smooth bores and a set of mikuni built for my motor that was built by Yoshimura back in 80. the other carbs were a back-up set i never used until i tried to start this bike before i took it apart. the bike ran like crap. it would not idle and seemed to be running on three cylinders. I took them apart to see if they needed a good cleaning again because they have sat for 25 years and the outside looked bad. he said he knew how to mod them to run better. these are mikunis but they are not the ones i gave him. on carb #3 the float blow lag had been broken off and a screw was inserted then drilled to hold the float pin. So what now. i have not see this guy in 20 years.. ok so i check them out good and it seems they will work. they don't leak or overflow. Then i tear them down and find all 4 idle screw washers and O-rings missing. Two carbs have 125 mains, one has a 135 main and the last has a 120 main. What a asshat.. that would explain the rough idle and running like crap i hope. I just ordered new jets, o-ring and gasket kits.

Got the parts in today. After bead blasting the carbs they got a good soaking and cleaning.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X