Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 GS 850G: She waited for me, but can I wait for her?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 850G: She waited for me, but can I wait for her?

Greetings all! I have enjoyed reading through the posts on this site for most of the day and feel rather encouraged to get my bike back up and running. I bought a 1983 GS 850g in decent shape before being deployed and ran the hell out of it for a year or so. It is sitting on 56,000 miles, which is incredible, and seemed to run pretty well. Right before I left, it developed an oil leak on the right side of the motor, and seemed to come from the head gasket. I started disassembly but did not have time to complete it before leaving, and have come home to see my beautiful big yellow banana bike in the same sorry state as I left it. (inside a garage at least, but still half disassembled).

My question to the readers is as follows: Are these puppies worth investing the time and money into with so many miles? I have seen around my area an assortment of the GS bikes in decent condition for about $1100 or so, and the broken bikes for about $600.00. I just want to get back on the road and RIDE and it is killing me looking at the baby in the corner. And NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER!

Any advice?

"That many miles"?

With 56,000 miles, it is just fully broken-in.

You sure the leak was head gasket, or maybe the valve cover gasket that was dripping down to the head gasket?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"With 56,000 miles, it is just fully broken-in. "

Well... that says something for the GS, doesn't it?

Am I sure? Absolutely not lol. I plan on buying a couple cases of beer and tearing into it this weekend.

What are the recommendations? I would love to tear down at least the top and take a look at the valves and such. With it having sat for so long, is there any reason to go any deeper than finding the leak? (i.e. pulling heads, replacing seals, soaking carb, etc) I pulled most of the wiring off before I left, which was incredibly smart because now I will have to fumble putting it back together.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your service.

Do indeed do a complete carb tear down and soak, new O rings and gaskets and carb mount O rings as well. Unscrew the spark plug caps and Clip about 1/4" off the plug wires and re screw the caps back on. Without knowing where the oil leak is coming from, I would start with a new valve cover gasket and maybe rubber moons as well, and I would check my valve clearances while the cover was off as well. That should get you started.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

My GK is over 100,000km (62137.1 miles).

Ask Flyboy how many his bike has.

Frabjous day:

Attached Files
          Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Ha, that's awesome. I will try to upload some photos tonight. What are some good sites to order our GS parts from? I have a local store that can order, but they are third party'ing me and the wait is annoying to say the least, let alone the price.

Comment

If your bike was working fine and just needs a top-end rebuild, you should come out well ahead by finishing the rebuild versus buying a new bike and peddling the existing one as a basket case.

Lots of us use partsoutlaw.com because they have decent prices. They might have a promo code "BANG" that can be used to get free shipping, but I'm not 100% sure it's still active. If you can't stand the wait, order from your local dealer, but you'll pay more. All OEM parts come from a Suzuki warehouse somewhere, so there's always at least a week's wait between order and pick-up, unless you're talking about very common items like washers and oil filters. If you order online, there's at least a two-week wait. It definitely pays to do your research and plan ahead. If you just jump into the rebuild without a plan, it will take a lot longer. Many of us here have had a major rebuild project held up because of that one stupid oddly-shaped o-ring or seal that only Suzuki makes.

Also check Z1 Enterprises for some of your aftermarket parts. Only use Suzuki OEM for the base gasket and head gasket.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Corporal91 View Post
                It is sitting on 56,000 miles, which is incredible, and seemed to run pretty well.
                Come back when there's another 2 in front of that.

<edit>
                That reads like I'm being dismissive, but I'm not - my point is, that these engines will just keep going until Doomsday if they're fed oil and filters at regular intervals and not have the living daylights thrashed out of them every ride. In those circumstances, 50K is nothing, 250K is more something.
                The late 70s saw the introduction of engines that would do that - yet the popular conception still remains, that 30, 40, 50K is a high mileage for a bike engine.
                Last edited by Grimly; 07-18-2015, 06:39 AM.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

By the way, happy birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
                    This is great!
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------
                    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Well, I got her out over the weekend. This is what she looks like. I will be sure to update the thread as often as possible. I thank everyone for the advice. IMG_15191.jpg
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

IMG_15211.jpg
                        Sorry for the small pics. They blow up nicely though.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

IMG_15201.jpg A few more dings in it now that I remember...
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2015, 08:21 AM.

Comment

IMG_15271 leak.jpg The red is where the leak seems to originate from. The yellow is a spot I located with a cooling fin that seems to have been dinged off. I did not see any other damage around that area however.

Comment

That is a very cool 850. Please do the world a favor and bring her back to life.

Cheers to you for even thinking about it.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X