No announcement yet.

GS550E Project "Kafebiku"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason for the holdup is I sold the BMW and got this Ducati at the auction. Needed more work then I expected but I wanted something to ride while I build the GS. Ended up doing some mods to it while I was at it. Home made exhaust using Cone Engineering mufflers, M-bars and some other things to make it a bit more fun.

Comment

Subscribed!

Love the quality work

Comment

Originally posted by Rattytatty View Post
        Subscribed!

Love the quality work
        Thank you sir!

Comment

Made the seat pan mount easy to remove using Quick Latch Mini. Need to visit my upholsterer to see what else I need to make the seat right. Never made a seat before.

Comment

Next is the mockup of the cowl also known as the battery cover. Will most likely upholster the seat first and make the cowl after.

Comment

Battery hold down and license plate mount complete.

Comment

Hey Evo,

I love the way the bike is turning out. I was looking at the insulator that you made from 3-D printing, and it looks great, but I am a little concerned about it. I have been messing with a ultil-make 2 extended 3-d printer and different materials for about a year now. I am actually 3-d printing a new airbox, dashboard, and a storage compartment for my bike. I am concerned that the PLA does not have a high enough melting point to be used anywhere close to the engine. I know whenever I would leave a PLA in my truck all day in the middle of the summer, I would find it deformed because the inside of the truck was to warm for it. I would suggest using XT or HT material from Color-fabb. XT has a much higher melting point. I am just afraid that if you use PLA in the starter compartment, it could melt into a blog and mess up you starter.

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ace07 View Post
                  Hey Evo,

I love the way the bike is turning out. I was looking at the insulator that you made from 3-D printing, and it looks great, but I am a little concerned about it. I have been messing with a ultil-make 2 extended 3-d printer and different materials for about a year now. I am actually 3-d printing a new airbox, dashboard, and a storage compartment for my bike. I am concerned that the PLA does not have a high enough melting point to be used anywhere close to the engine. I know whenever I would leave a PLA in my truck all day in the middle of the summer, I would find it deformed because the inside of the truck was to warm for it. I would suggest using XT or HT material from Color-fabb. XT has a much higher melting point. I am just afraid that if you use PLA in the starter compartment, it could melt into a blog and mess up you starter.

Thanks,

Andy

Thank you!

The closer it gets to starting the bike the more I am concerned with that part. I will need to think of another option for this. Thank you for pointing that out, Andy.

Comment

Finally got to start and "finish" the rear cowl. Here are some in progress pics.

Comment

Made a little cutout to put the integrated tail, brake and turn signals. Not sure I am 100% happy with the way the cowl turned out. I'll get it painted and see if I like it better.

Comment

The wheel parts arrived. Got a good deal on black Friday from Cognito Moto. Got their gsxr750 front hub and Warp 9 17x3.5 front 17x4.25 rear rims. New rotors to fit the 1989 GSXR750 front fork/brake setup. Can't wait to get these laced up and some tires put on. Ordered 120/70/17 front and 150/70/17 rear tires.

Comment

This was the best I can come up with when removing the swing arm bearings. Some heating, some beating and it came out pretty easy. Just need the right pry bar and a hammer.

Comment

Hoping this week will be the week I drop all this stuff off at the powder coater. Would like to begin the assembly in the new year.

Comment

Has everything been assembled and tested already once, or did I miss something? Paint and powdercoat is a final step, after shakedowns and revisions. A correctly built, finished custom has been built/assembled in totality at least twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
                                Has everything been assembled and tested already once, or did I miss something? Paint and powdercoat is a final step, after shakedowns and revisions. A correctly built, finished custom has been built/assembled in totality at least twice.
                                I test fitted engine in the frame, the forks on the frame as well as all the parts I made. It's been together before and I haven't changed any structural areas of the frame. It will all workout in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X