No announcement yet.

GS550E Project "Kafebiku"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about rear tire clearance, you have reduced it by around 3-4", how do you plan to address that?

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
      What about rear tire clearance, you have reduced it by around 3-4", how do you plan to address that?
      Stiffer shocks and a bit of ride height.

Comment

I like what you've done so far. I'll likely be using some of your design work as inspiration for some modifications for my bike in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo-Jet View Post
          Stiffer shocks and a bit of ride height.
          Rise in height through longer shocks usually also comes with even more suspension travel. I am sure you are also aware of the changes in handling characteristics the result from modifying a motorcycles suspension geometry, which is less my concern than what happens when your rear tire smashes into the "hoop" in a corner.

"Stiffer shocks" is not a good solution for a clearance issue. Mostly because it wont solve it because it can still bottom out. The only reason to increase spring rate is to tune the ride. Using stiffer shocks to address clearance issues caused by an aesthetic modification is also a way of saying that you are willing to sacrifice safety and performance to achieve a "look".

You can defend the mods all you like, it's your bike. I'm just telling you the fact that it isn't the way to do it. I'd like nothing more than the trend to go from hard headed first timers that keep making the same mistakes as the ones before them to seeing people use the practical and experienced advice that is in this generation available at your fingertips for free.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Rise in height through longer shocks usually also comes with even more suspension travel. I am sure you are also aware of the changes in handling characteristics the result from modifying a motorcycles suspension geometry, which is less my concern than what happens when your rear tire smashes into the hoop in a corner.

"Stiffer shocks" is not a good solution for a clearance issue. Mostly because it wont solve it because it can still bottom out. The only reason to increase spring rate is to tune the ride. Using stiffer shocks to address clearance issues caused by an aesthetic modification is also a way of saying that you are willing to sacrifice safety and performance to achieve a "look".
            Thanks for the info.

I misspoke, meant stiffer springs. I'll let you know how it goes. If it sucks then I'll chuck it all in the bin and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
              I like what you've done so far. I'll likely be using some of your design work as inspiration for some modifications for my bike in the near future.
              Thank you! Try at your own risk.

Comment

Or you could fix it now and not be so stubborn. I even have pictures and everything to show you how, if you are willing to view them one at a time

Comment

Or you could fix it now and not be so stubborn. I even have pictures and everything to show you how, if you are willing to view them one at a time
                  I'd love to take a look.

You have a point, and thank you again.

I will try the swing arm and my old wheel in there to see what I am working with.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo-Jet View Post
                    I'd love to take a look.

You have a point, and thank you again.

I will try the swing arm and my old wheel in there to see what I am working with.
                    Great! I will post pics in a couple hours of a mod I came up with that can gain you a couple inches without having to sacrifice the look you are going for. Lucky you, it is specifically demonstrated on a 550E. Shall return.

Comment

Great! I will post pics in a couple hours of a mod I came up with that can gain you a couple inches without having to sacrifice the look you are going for. Lucky you, it is specifically demonstrated on a 550E. Shall return.
                      While you're at it, can you also quickly highlight how much clearance the hoop takes away at this location? From memory, I wouldn't have thought the fender goes much higher than about 2cm/~1inch than the frame there. Is the rear tire with stock dimensions even allowed to travel this near to the fender? I would've thought the shocks bottom out first. Hmm
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                        While you're at it, can you also quickly highlight how much clearance the hoop takes away at this location? From memory, I wouldn't have thought the fender goes much higher than about 2cm/~1inch than the frame there. Is the rear tire with stock dimensions even allowed to travel this near to the fender? I would've thought the shocks bottom out first. Hmm
                        ill take a few pictures later today.

Comment

Its easy to see in the pictures in this thread.

Question for you.... How do you think that i learned not to build ujm subframes that way....hint....not on the internet

Comment

Its easy to see in the pictures in this thread.
                            Went back to the first page and checked, missed the relevant pictures. Yeah, looks like it's going to be a close call.

Could've sworn the fender's curve doesn't go that high.

Question for you.... How do you think that i learned not to build ujm subframes that way....hint....not on the internet
                            If the question was for me, I don't quite see the connection to my inquiry...but that notwithstanding, that sounds like a hard learned lesson? Story? (I love stories, buttload to learn from others).
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

The top of the tire goes considerably higher than the frame rail when under full compression. That's why suzuki [and others] put that big ol arched brace frame rail to frame rail. Install a flat seat pan, and a hoop that doesn't kick at all, and you've gauranteed a clearance issue.

Yes a lesson fought through several builds, tried everything mentioned earlier to combat the issue early in my customizing experience, but continued to end up with tire rub, and eventually had to admit to myself that i was doing it wrong. Even if you don't see rub at first, you'll ride it harder and harder, and eventually it will show up. Regardless whether it causes an accident, a tire even near rubbing the frame is just wrong. I built my first "brat/cafe/whatever" quite some time ago, which coincidentally was a gs750 and have made every mistake that I warn others against. Eventually did move on stylistically [got older] but of course still have a fondness for minimalistic builds, when done correctly. That is why these type of builds attract me.

Pics soon.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2016, 04:02 PM.

Comment

All pics 075.jpg

Although this subframe is not quite as long as yours, it should demonstrate fairly well the process of creating more clearance practically. I' will post a few pics then an explanation/disclaimer and answer any questions you might have afterwords.

Comment

Working...
                                X