• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All pics 080.jpg

started blending the shock gussets

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
      The top of the tire goes considerably higher than the frame rail when under full compression. That's why suzuki [and others] put that big ol arched brace frame rail to frame rail. Install a flat seat pan, and a hoop that doesn't kick at all, and you've gauranteed a clearance issue.

Yes a lesson fought through several builds, tried everything mentioned earlier to combat the issue early in my customizing experience, but continued to end up with tire rub, and eventually had to admit to myself that i was doing it wrong. Even if you don't see rub at first, you'll ride it harder and harder, and eventually it will show up. Regardless whether it causes an accident, a tire even near rubbing the frame is just wrong. I built my first "brat/cafe/whatever" quite some time ago, which coincidentally was a gs750 and have made every mistake that I warn others against. Eventually did move on stylistically [got older] but of course still have a fondness for minimalistic builds, when done correctly. That is why these type of builds attract me.

Pics soon.
      We shall wait.

This is my first cafe build and I know I will probably miss something. Hopefully it will be minimal stuff and not something that makes the bike unsafe. As a person of function over form my hope is that I don't ruin this bikes ability but improve it if possible. That being said this one was influenced by the "look" of other cafe bikes.

Comment

Look above your post for the beginning pics

All pics 082.jpg

If i were to build this particular bike again, id've made the tail 2 inches longer...

Comment

pics 007.jpg

pan started
          Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2016, 04:22 PM.

Comment

getting therepics 009.jpg

Comment

pics 095.jpg

here is the general idea of what the rear looks like now

Comment

extra 117.jpg

again would have gone a couplle inches longer, but you already have, so imo your bike would look even better

take note that if even more clearance is needed the bottom of the pan can be hammered to implement a compound curve that hides under the tail.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48885[/ATTACH]

again would have gone a couplle inches longer, but you already have, so imo your bike would look even better

take note that if even more clearance is needed the bottom of the pan can be hammered to implement a compound curve that hides under the tail.
                  Looks good man. I'll take a look later today. Will report back. Thanks for the info.

Comment

ok but you didnt ask how i got those compound curves into the "hoop" tubes...

a set of 1" handlebars will give you all the curves you need. of course everybodys skillset is different

Comment

ok but you didnt ask how i got those compound curves into the "hoop" tubes...

a set of 1" handlebars will give you all the curves you need. of course everybodys skillset is different
                      Cool idea!

Comment

Setting the swing arm at 340mm shock mount to shock mount I get about 3" of "travel" using the stock wheel and tire. I can't find the diameter of the tire i ordered but i think it might give me another 1"

Comment

So now hopefully you see that isnt going to work. Notice how your hoop ends up directly over the highest point on the tire, right in the center. This is exactly where suzuki engineers found the need to step up the seat and and run an arched brace to stay clear of the path of travel.

I'M afraid you are trying to hope your way to clearance. You're going to have to cut and weld it to fix the mistake.

Comment

So now hopefully you see that isnt going to work. Notice how your hoop ends up directly over the highest point on the tire, right in the center. This is exactly where suzuki engineers found the need to step up the seat and and run an arched brace to stay clear of the path of travel.

I'M afraid you are trying to hope your way to clearance. You're going to have to cut and weld it to fix the mistake.
                            Does this illustrate the total shock stroke of 3.35"?
                            Last edited by Evo-Jet; 12-22-2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The way I read this, the stock shocks hit the cushion ① at 85mm/3.35". So you're currently short 8mm/.35" with the stock tire at maximum depression?

Assuming you really gain 25.4mm/1" with the new tire, I'm not sure if the resulting 17mm/0.66" clearance would be enough to account for frame flex/stop cushion compression...

Edit: Quite likely it won't, and the calculation is wrong, see the replies below
                              Last edited by roeme; 12-22-2016, 04:00 PM.
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                                The way I read this, the stock shocks hit the cushion ① at 85mm/3.35". So you're currently short 8mm/.35" with the stock tire at maximum depression?

Assuming you really gain 25.4mm/1" with the new tire, I'm not sure if the resulting 17mm/0.66" clearance would be enough to account for frame flex/stop cushion compression...
                                The hagon shocks I am looking to get have a maximum travel of 80mm. If I get a 350mm shock fully extended and 270 fully compressed I should be ok. I'll know better when the tire arrives so I can see what the diameter will be.

Comment

Working...
                                X