No announcement yet.

GS550E Project "Kafebiku"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that the axle/wheel will move just a bit more than the shock.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Keep in mind that the axle/wheel will move just a bit more than the shock.

I will do a propper measurement when I get my new wheels and tires assembled.

Comment

Also remember that the tire grows slightly as speed increases.

The shock stroke is not the same as the amount of travel.

A. As steve mentioned, the axle is behind the lower shock mount.

B. The shock is not installed at a 90 degree angle. The uptravel of the axle considerably exceeds the shock travel.

Dis stuff ain't as simple as it may seem

P.S... At 350mm you will be at the edge of the envelope on chain slack. Be sure to set that up properly.

Comment

Moral of the advice here if there is one, is that if you want a truly finished and 100% correctly functioning motorcycle at the end, you will have to assemble the entire thing, test it and make revisions, then break it back down for the least important phase, cosmetics.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
            Moral of the advice here if there is one, is that if you want a truly finished and 100% correctly functioning motorcycle at the end, you will have to assemble the entire thing, test it and make revisions, then break it back down for the least important phase, cosmetics.
            I'd have thought the moral was "Measure twice, cut once." - lol
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Yeah, my back-of-the-napkin calculation is wrong. I didn't take into account what steve and dohcbikes mentioned. Clearance will be much less.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Got some goodies back from the powder coater.

Comment

Cognito Moto front hub to fit the GSXR 750 front forks and brakes.

Comment

Got he custom Buchanan spokes to work with the hubs and rims. Laced up by Wheel Works motorcycle shop in Hayward, CA. Tires mounted and balanced. Had to modify the rear caliper arm to make room. Most will say that it will rub, I'll report back if I have any issues.

Comment

Big things back from powder coating. Finally some assembly happening.

Comment

The rear caliper was disgusting to say the least. Had to find one that is in better shape. All new seals and pistons installed.

Comment

Started looking at carbs and found three needles broken and stuck from previous owner. I can tell this bike was loved and cared for . If someone has the ones marked with "F*cked" PM me.

Comment

Classy looking bike pal, definitely gonna be one of the ones you see on the instagram cafe bike pages haha!
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                              Classy looking bike pal, definitely gonna be one of the ones you see on the instagram cafe bike pages haha!
                              This made me giggle.

Comment

Is got that vibe man haha i definitely dig it
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X