1982 GS550 With Snow Machine Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550 With Snow Machine Engine

I have someone at work trying to give me a 1980 GS550 that has been sitting and doesn't run. I already have a 1982 gs550 so I really don't want another stock bike.

I have a junk sled at home with a good engine, clutch and carbs. It runs great but the rest of the sled is junk. So I was thinking maybe just put the snow machine engine in the gs550. Run it off the clutch and just have the cvt.

Im not sure if I want to do this or not yet, but I think it will be fun.

BTW the engine I want to put in is a 1991 Ski Doo Formula Plus 521. So its a twin cylinder liquid cooled rotary valve 500cc. puts out about 75HP.

What do you think?

DO it or not.

Curtis

hell yes do it.

Comment

Do it now.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

how are you going to transmit power to the rear wheel?

Or are you using the track as well?

Comment

i was planning on running the belt to a pulley and on the other end of the pulley have a sprocket. Im not really sure yet but that is what I have in mind.

So it would have to have a bracket then have a rod through it what spins so the pulley can spin the sprocket, unless there is another easier way.

Comment

Excellent...a mad hatter project!

I want to see this one happen.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
              I have someone at work trying to give me a 1980 GS550 that has been sitting and doesn't run. I already have a 1982 gs550 so I really don't want another stock bike.

I have a junk sled at home with a good engine, clutch and carbs. It runs great but the rest of the sled is junk. So I was thinking maybe just put the snow machine engine in the gs550. Run it off the clutch and just have the cvt.

Im not sure if I want to do this or not yet, but I think it will be fun.

BTW the engine I want to put in is a 1991 Ski Doo Formula Plus 521. So its a twin cylinder liquid cooled rotary valve 500cc. puts out about 75HP.

What do you think?

DO it or not.

Curtis
              Sounds cool, why not. You may be able to get some ideas from these snowmobile engine powered bikes.
              blob:https%3A//www.youtube.com/af74d70d-f270-43ed-8bec-964ce4a245ff
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I've been thinking and I'm stumped on exhaust. I would want expansion chambers, but it doesn't look like I could buy some.

I would have to make my own. Has anyone done this?

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
                  I've been thinking and I'm stumped on exhaust. I would want expansion chambers, but it doesn't look like I could buy some.

I would have to make my own. Has anyone done this?
                  Plenty of knowledge to be found regarding expansion chambers for the likes of Yamaha RD250 / 350 etc, out there. I've no doubt you could tailor one for your needs, but be prepared for a bit of trial and error.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

So I finally go around to starting the project. I actually found some Yamaha rd400 expansion chambers, i picked up a project rd400 and it came with both stock pipes and aftermarket. So the rd will keep the stock pipes and tje gs will get the chambers. it looks like I have some pipes.

Now its just making everything fit. I'm not sure how the pipes will fit I may need to modify them a bit but at least its a starting point.

I'm actually going to use both clutches from the snow machine. And the jackshaft. Well at least a portion of the jackshaft. I'm going to weld the sprocket to the jackshaft and have the jackshaft run on bearings.

It sounds easy in my head but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I still need to pull the engines and strip what I need from the sled.

BTW does anyone need any 1991 ski doo formula plus 521 parts. Lol

Any input on the project would be appreciated.

Curtis

Comment

The only input I have is:
                      WE WANT PICTURES

Comment

OK. Will do. Once I start assembling I'll get some pictures.

Comment

IMG_20151017_140659.jpg
                          I used the jack shaft from the snow machine. We had to cut it down so it fit win the frame. As you can see I machined the end down in order to fit a bearing on the end. I also used bearing stops in front of the bearing. We are going to weld the sprocket to the shaft so hopefully the gearing is good.

Comment

KIMG0081.jpg
                            In this picture the jack shaft is mounted and the brackets are welded into place. The engine is mocked up with 2x4s so we could see how it is going to fit.

Comment

KIMG0085.jpg
                              Here you can see the jack shaft is mounted and the chain is on. You can also see why we have to have the engine lifted off the frame otherwise the carbs would hit the jack shaft.

Comment

Working...
                              X