It's NOT an "L" yaaaaaaay...81 550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's NOT an "L" yaaaaaaay...81 550T

I came upon this one accidentally.. It was a response from a Craigslist ad i had on and the man wanted to use in part trade of a Savage LS650 i already sold.
    Long story short..it's mine..title coming in my name and bike shows 5000 or so miles. Decent shape and included was a box with Suzuki intakes and o-rings!
    The carb screws show signs of previous molestation so watch this thread for ongoing shenanigans....IMG_20150729_133333_313.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM.

Yay! Another "T".

Congrats and welcome. No offense to "L" models.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

THANKS!!!!not even off truck yet!! YAAAAAYIMG_20150729_133402_004.jpg

Comment

Looks pretty nice even for a Tee. Tom, let me know when you get a Wednesday off work, we'll meet up again...
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Will do norm..im at work mad right this moment that i can't pull the carbs for a look see.....lol

Comment

Looks fantastic; they are fun bikes and I love mine
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

WELL.. I found:
              a rigged starter button wire (probably a bad clutch switch hahha)
              and the carbs need redone with a NEW #3 carb. It has a broken and jb welded float post that is very sick.
              The worst intake boots I've seen, and a failed attempt of a fix with red crap...

I had her running before I tore it all apart. The motor is sound and will be nice. I'm posting a wanted in the other section, for #3 carb body if you happen to have any.. let me know.IMG_20150730_115727_637.jpg
              on a brighter note, the cam tensioner was locked in the out position, not the wrong way as I usually find, and no other bolts on the bike appear to be molested!!

Comment

Got the carbs straightened out.. after finding one with the
                BUSTED POST SYNDROME lol.
                THANKS TO CHEF1366 for the carb. It works great. I did need to switch out the throttle shaft.. it was 1/4 inch too long on one side but works great and I'm sure it is good!!
                I actually stripped, dipped, ultrasonic-ed(SP)??, then dipped again!!!
                The floats were all off, probably measured with the gasket on, but even worse from side to side each differed by a couple mm..someone musta been hamfisted heeee
                Too bad I forgot to order the pilot rubber plugs or the bike would be running tonight!! They were all 4 gone missing... ooh well you gotta give POs credit for at least tryin right???IMG_20150806_212015_289.jpg
                Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2015, 09:37 PM. Reason: kant spel

Comment

getting close except I forgot pilot plugs..

purtyIMG_20150806_212054_950.jpg

Comment

I'm contemplating swapping out the painted fenders for chrome ones.
                    What fenders will fit??
                    my fenders are both road-rashed badly

Comment

I had a nervous panicky feeling when I noticed someone had
                      DRILLED OUT the air bleed jet for the idle circuit in the airhorn in a replacement carb that I got, probably cause some dawm PO tried F$$%%ing PODS on his bike! well the old carb was crap with a broken post so I "sectioned off " the place where the pressed in jet was positioned. Then I gently kept cutting until I could CRACK it off from around the jet.
                      GOT THE JET ..
                      THEN miraculously, I was able to extract, in one try, the drilled out jet using a hardened deck screw!!!
                      the jet is now pressed into the replacement carb and I'm still waiting for those darn rubber plugs from somewhere..
                      PS I HATE PODs AND ANYONE THAT USESS THEM hahahaha just kiddin guys....

Comment

I can see better after I take a pic with my tablet.
                        The original jet won't pass a 1/16" drill bit but the replacement carb the drill would fall thru and hit the bottom lol!!!
                        WHEW

Comment

Bike is DONE and runs great!!!
                          I synced the carbs as it had a hanging idle at first...my bench sync must not have been close enought hahaha.. but after using my motion pro sync tool all is well!!!! I like the motion pro, no problems at all and I like that you can calibrate it...
                          Now to decide to keep.. or sell for funding more projects???IMG_20150819_111140_992.jpg

Comment

Glad to hear you got it running good Tom. We'll have to meet up again. The Canfield fair has there big Bike Nite this Thursday. Maybe you can ride over this way for it.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                              Glad to hear you got it running good Tom. We'll have to meet up again. The Canfield fair has there big Bike Nite this Thursday. Maybe you can ride over this way for it.
                              Gotta work darnit
                              Are there any events on Fridays you know of ??? or monday or tuesday? I always work wed and thurs afternoons . kinda tired of working anyway, thinking of going from 4 day a week to zero hahahah or at least 3 until the clowns can find more help....

Comment

Working...
                              X