Triple Tree Modification Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple Tree Modification Questions

I recently acquired a '79 GS550 and am considering the possibilities of making a project out of it. I have already started cleaning and doing much needed maintenance on it. I am on a tight budget and will gradually be doing projects on the bike as money and time allow. The more work I can do myself and the more I can salvage/modify from the original bike, the better. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have been looking at updating the looks of the front end of the bike, ie. handlebars, controls, gauges, fender and more. I really hate the styling of the lower section of the triple tree. (Sorry I don't have pics for reference) It has the permanently mounted reflectors of the side and horizontal striping on the front. I would like to clean it up and get rid of the reflectors, smooth the front and paint/powder coat it black.

Hopefully that's enough info to get a good answer. So for the question... Has anyone modified the existing triple on one of these bikes, and if so are there resources I could follow to do something similar? I searched, but couldn't find anything. Also, are there inherent problems with what I want to do? Are there better alternatives that don't include spending large amounts of money on a new triple assembly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

That should be a plastic cover on the lower triple, because the lower is not a thing of beauty
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I was looking at it a couple days ago and it didn't seem that way. I'll admit that I didn't look as close as I could have. Next time I have a chance, I'll check it out a bit more thoroughly. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by OldManBrooks View Post
        I was looking at it a couple days ago and it didn't seem that way. I'll admit that I didn't look as close as I could have. Next time I have a chance, I'll check it out a bit more thoroughly. Thanks for your reply.
        The piece you describe is a plastic cover. Simply remove it.

The brake line splitter can be removed by running two lines all the way to the master cylinder

That will tidy up the bottom yoke. I'd also suggest a new paint job.

Alternatively, get it and the top yoke chromed, or replace with an early GSXR front end

Comment

Thank for the info. It is indeed a plastic cover incase anyone else wanted to know, and like me, didn't take the time to look before asking.

Comment

Actually, some are plastic, some are metal.

Also be aware that some have the ribbing that you described on the front, others are rather plain.
            Might look around a bit to see if a plain version would suit your fancy.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X