No announcement yet.

1977 GS550 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Series reg/rec is in. Waiting to do a few more rides and make sure everything is fine before covering the loom. Added some fuses as there were none when I got the bike.

Had some issues with it running on 3, so have had the coils off and cleaned up some more dodgy wiring there, all back together and running on all 4 again.

Petcock rebuilt and refitted with a new gasket. Extended the fuel and vac lines to the tank as they were barely long enough before, lots easier to get the tank on and off now.

Starting and riding quite nicely given I just threw the carbs together. The hard part now to fine tune them, fun fun!

Comment

Ohhhhh, shes purdy all right.

Comment

Plug chops!

I just checked the manual and realised neither of these are the correct plug so I think I will get 4 new matching plugs before I start making any adjustments

Comment

Been doing odds and ends, not as often as I should. Carbs have been off and on a few times thanks to number 2 overflowing. Then waiting for new gaskets as the ones I got shrunk! Have finished putting a new needle valve and seat into number 2 carb and resetting the float only to find it is still leaking fuel, grrrr!

Also have been reworking the rear end to incorporate the original tail fairing. Purests close your eyes.
          Am happy with the tail mounting for now, the seat pan took a bit of cutting and reshaping, just need to shape the foam and make up a cover to finish it off.

Comment

Despite the normal tuning and wiring ups and downs you are going through sorting this thing out you have in this short build thread shown what it takes to get a gs running.
            A lot of new forum members should take note of the proper and methodical way you approached getting it running.
            Everybody wants to take shortcuts and just spray a can or carb cleaner and turn some mixture screws and expect the bike to run.
            Keep up the good work.
            It's starting to look good too....

Comment

Working...
            X