1984 Katana 7/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I want a Katana now.

That looks absolutely fabulous! Well done Pete, I never buff my paint jobs. I think I have been wrong in not doing so after seeing what you have done.

Time for me to give it a go.

Cheers
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Haha yep Daryl, they're certainly a head turner that's for sure!

You definitely need to give this polishing thing a go. All I did on the 450 was the fine cut cleaner on that wool pad I had, everything else by hand. I can see now where it would have been so much better had I gone through this whole process, it's a world of difference.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I got the pinstripes on last night, and I definitely like them as the separator between the black and silver.

However, the lighting in the garage is horrendous and I can't really tell if the satin red is ok or if it gets lost too much in the gloss black. I'll have to get it out in the sun on the weekend to see for sure.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

The tank's looking a little vacant now where the Suzuki decals need to be, really need to get those on too along with the side cover decals.

sigpic

Comment

That looks real nice, Pete. The perfect addition to your paint. Something so simple and yet finishes it off so well. Are you going to do the fender, also..?
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Are you going to shoot another layer of clear over the tank decals?
            The tank I messed up was that way, and I think it looks really good.
            Wham I get my new tank repainted, I'm planning on having it done that way again.
            Attached Files
            The Three Horsemen
            '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
            Porkchop Express

Comment

Cheers Larry, yeah definitely happy with that pinstripe as the separator, definitely works spot on like that. You're the second person to mention the front mudguard missing the stripe to me today... I actually had it on my original mock up but decided it was a bit too much so I left it off. Now I agree the front is missing a bit of red without it, so I added it as you'll see below.

I contemplated red braided brake lines for the front as well, but I think that really may be too much and I think I'll stick with black for those.

I won't be clearing over the details Greg, not because it's not a good idea, but more due to the fact I don't really know what the lifespan of the pinstriping is, and the tank decals are only rated for 5+ years with UV exposure. It seems the vinyl they make these things out of now doesn't have the same life as the original decals, so I figure if I'm likely going to need to replace them, then better off not clearing over the top and avoid that nightmare.

I need to start with a question (although I suspect only a Katana aficionado will be able to answer)... anyone tried to apply the three black stripe decals to the side covers and found they don't seem quite right?

The indents on my covers are pretty straight and much shorter than the decals. I'm thinking just trim off the bent end of the decal and apply the straight part only, but figured I'd raise the question first in case someone else has a better idea.

Good chance these covers aren't genuine Suzuki and are aftermarket too (not that it bothers me).

So aside from those stripes, I got the rest of the decals on tonight, including adding a red pinstripe to the front mudguard.

I reckon I fluked an awesome result with the tank decals too, that silver is so close to the 13L and looks pretty spot on.

I did have an issue applying the left one though when I let it slip letting the U and K partly apply when I wasn't ready. I corrected them as best I could but I didn't want to risk damaging them, don't think it's terribly noticeable.

Oh, I know the original Katana sidecover stickers didn't have "KATANA" at the top, but I sorta like it like that so I didn't trim it off. Nice to see the background of those stickers is a nice confirmation that the PPG 13L paint formula is spot on too!

sigpic

Comment

Well done! It's coming together beautifully.

Comment

The little black stripes for the side covers, wrap them around the back side of the cover.
                  Less chance of that end of the decal trying to peel up.
                  Mine are trying to peel from the visible end after 15 years, so that's a pretty good lifespan.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Greg B; 04-18-2018, 10:51 AM.
                  The Three Horsemen
                  '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                  '83 GS1100ES
                  ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                  Porkchop Express

Comment

The red pin stripe on the fender is just what it needed to tie it all together. Looks nice, Pete. I agree the red brake lines would've been a bit blingy. I really like the see-thru tank decals. For the side cover indents, maybe just masking those off and spraying a light coat of satin black instead of trimming the decals to fit those rounded corners. Just throwing out an option.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Cheers guys! Yeah very happy with the results and I'm liking the satin of the red pinstripe even more, although it could be just "growing" on me as I keep looking at it... we'll see when I get a chance to get it outside, hopefully there's some sun on the weekend.

I think I've figured out the black stripe issues... I think I'm holding it upside down, with the long part going in the indent and the bent part wrapping around the front. Yep Greg by all reports they do need to wrap around the front there. 15 years is pretty good too!

I did momentarily contemplate spraying some black in there Larry, but I'm pretty sure I know what the issue is now so I'll stick with the decals (pun fully intended )

sigpic

Comment

That thing is a sexy beast, and it doesn't even have a motor in it yet!
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Looking good Pete!

As for the black stripes / trim, not sure what you are using....but you can always make some out of black Contact (you know - the stuff you cover books with). It's kind of satin / matt and being vinyl is easy to work with.

I went crazy with it some years ago and "zebra'd" my old fighter....

Current:
                          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Hahaha cheers Dogma! Definitely chuffed how she's working out though

Good to hear from you Hillsy! I still reckon you oughta get that 450 going... the black indent decals are the stock Suzuki item, but contact would probably look just about the same I reckon, got it sorted tonight thankfully though. That fighter's certainly a different look! Looks like it worked out pretty well actually...

Yep, I had the decals upside down. Flipped them over and let them wrap around the front of the indents and all sorted.

All the decals are now on.

Last of the dodgy garage lighting photos hopefully, but I'll try to get some good sunny ones on the weekend as I'm really keen to see how the pinstripes and Suzuki decals look in the true light of day.

sigpic

Comment

Sunny photos! Well, sort of anyway... I was expecting cloud and showers so I rolled the Kat out early this morning and got the best ones I could.

I'm super happy with the red pinstriping and the silver Suzuki decals, going to leave it all just as it is, definitely stoked with how good she's looking!

I dismantled the cover for the oil pressure switch and noticed it looks like it may have a temperature sensor in it as well? Looks suspiciously like it anyway... no idea how/if it works but something to keep in mind as it could come in handy.

Then I ran some paint stripper over the oil filter cover, oil pressure switch cover, clutch cover, and chain guard.

The chain guard's going to need a little panel beating and a little repair where the metal has torn a little. Nothing major and won't be too hard to sort out.

by starpoint73, on Flickr

I did a bunch more sanding on the crankcases as well, 180 grit wet sanding wrapped around a paddle pop stick to get into the cooling fins and nooks and crannies around the place. One more run over with wire brushes then brake cleaner and a pressure wash should see them ready for paint I think.

Depending if I get time for more prep on Wednesday, there's a chance I might be able to paint them next weekend which would be awesome.

Now on to the gearbox...

sigpic

Comment

I grabbed the driveshaft and all the bits and new bearings etc. and got set to go.

And all done ready to install.

by starpoint73, on Flickr

I followed the manual to the T, a light coating of moly lube on the drive shaft first, and while I have no idea what Suzuki Super Grease A is, I figured I couldn't go wrong with some high temp bearing grease considering it was just going on the lip of the oil seal.

Counter shaft is next and I'll get it to the point where second can get pressed on and welded.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X