82 GS650E Build Brat / Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650E Build Brat / Cafe

Hey all, been working on this bike for few months or so. Slow progress but I thought I'd put up some photos and keep track of the changes. Partially for myself and hopefully it'll spark some thoughts in others' builds.

Bike wasn't in terrible shape but it was burning oil through the valve seals so I replaced those. I couldn't stand having the bike sitting there idle while I waited for parts and tools so I decided to chop it and build this with a brat seat.

Mods so far(mainly looks):
    Clip-ons
    lowered headlight bracket
    chopped front fender
    rear cafe hoop with upsweep
    brat seat held on by DZU winged fasteners
    LED tail light with signals integrated
    headlight with LED signals integrated
    solid state electronic flasher relay to fix the fast flasher syndrome from LEDs
    aluminum vertical license plate bracket
    repainted tank and fenderwith blue pearls on ultra white paint (unfortunately the pearls are hard to see in the pictures, but it's a subtle blue in the fluorescent light and much better in sun light)

Plans for the winter:
    4-1 exhaust
    velocity stacks
    dynojet s3 kit
    acewell gauge cluster
    monoshock rear
    hide battery and electronics for an open "V" under the seat
    dyna s ignition
    clean and paint engine

Made the hoop and seat myself. Learned how to do the upswept bend from Dime city cycles' video on that cafe racer show....
    Mounted the led tail light strip in the rear of the seat. This thing is really blinding in the daytime. Love the slim look.
    I lowered the headlight by cutting out about 2 inches from the bracket and rewelding it back together. I was originally planning on putting the clipons under the top triple tree clamp but the brake reservoir was hitting the gauge cluster. I didn't want to, but I ended up just putting the clip ons on top. It may be temporary until I get the acewell gauge and get more clearance.
    Instead of going with a Mac 4-1 exhaust, I'm planning on building my own 4-1 just for the heck of it. Also plan on turning my own velocity stacks.

Can't attach more than one picture per post??

Anyhow, excuse the mess... just finished putting the seat
    IMG_20151105_233012883.jpg

view from behind.
    Attached Files

Comment

This should be fun!! Keep up the good work.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Thanks. Put the emblems on and took her for a ride over the weekend. Since I've been itching to ride it, I probably won't be doing much until the cold really hits and I put her away for the winter.

Comment

Very nice! What clip on's are those?

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian24 View Post
            Very nice! What clip on's are those?
            Not sure... some generic fleabay ones. They look and feel just like woodcraft clipons from my local bike shop though. I think I paid 50 bucks or so.
            Took out the plastic end cap and put in some bar end mirrors.

Comment

Some older pictures.
              Picture of the rear before tank and seat dzu install

IMG_20151010_233743080.jpg

Why can't I attach more than one photo per post?

Comment

Aluminum seat pan hand bent to the seat frame/hoop. I should have went with a thinner foam for the seat since I like the minimal look but it sure is comfy.
                IMG_20151003_140702281.jpg

Comment

Knee dents
                  First time doing this and it was surprisingly easy. It "naturally" dented in at the front of the tank by the emblem. If I were to do this again, I'd probably just cut out a section, form it, tig it back in and go with a polished or raw steel look.
                  I was also worried that the dent would interfere with the in-tank fuel level float but it didn't.

IMG_20150816_192240036_HDR.jpg
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2015, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
                    Some older pictures.
                    Picture of the rear before tank and seat dzu install

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42886[/ATTACH]

Why can't I attach more than one photo per post?
                    You have to use something like photo bucket, then copy the image link, and paste the code in your message

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
                    Not sure... some generic fleabay ones. They look and feel just like woodcraft clipons from my local bike shop though. I think I paid 50 bucks or so.
                    Took out the plastic end cap and put in some bar end mirrors.
                    Cool. they don't have "risers" on them right? IDK if that's the correct terminology but can't tell if they're offset in any way from the hoop to the bar I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian24 View Post
                      You have to use something like photo bucket, then copy the image link, and paste the code in your message

Cool. they don't have "risers" on them right? IDK if that's the correct terminology but can't tell if they're offset in any way from the hoop to the bar I guess.
                      I figured I'd have to do something like that. Was hoping there was an easier way or a limitation from my account or something.

No riser height on these bars, although they did have ones specified with a riser height. they are angled downwards from the fork tube clamps. meaning the handlebars arent perfectly perpendicular to the clamp.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2015, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Cool project.

Comment

I like your seat set up, where did you get it ?...A.

Comment

Originally posted by AichGee View Post
                            I like your seat set up, where did you get it ?...A.
                            Thanks. Homemade the hoop and seat except for the led light strip

Comment

Damn, you made that seat? It looks really good .
                              Puts my homemade 850 brat project seat I made to shame. May have to rethink that one. Lol
                              Looks like you are doing a quality build. Thumbs up

Comment

Working...
                              X