Blue E Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue E Project

Started this under GS Motorcycle Discussion and posted some pics there under...

...but I'll finish it out here since it is a project.

Started out like this:

It has been several colors including a most unattractive green which was causing some contamination issues with the new paint so I sanded it all off before this pic was taken.

Tank after hot tank and coating--very little work needed to make it straight.

Ready for clear...

Lots more to do but at least it will look better during the rest of the process.

Carbs are in and I got it started with pod filters for now. I need to get outlet rubber from the airbox to carbs and an air filter before I will be able to use the airbox. It has #122 main jets but other than that the carbs are stock. The compression readings change every time I check them which is not unlike my other bikes after sitting for a while. Valve adjustment next.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Fresh paint!

Now all I have to do is:

Adjust valves
    Replace front fork seals
    Replace hand grips
    Check brakes and rebuild if needed
    Replace headlight chrome rim
    Install replacement cluster housing
    Install turn signals
    Install airbox
    Replace chain and sprockets
    Paint the wheels
    Get new tires
    Get new exhaust or do something dramatic with this one cause it is ugly.
    Last edited by glib; 11-20-2015, 12:58 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

......and take all the nice new shiny bits back off, at least the tank, and put them away so something stupid doesn't happened to them during the process. Like dropping a gas cap on your shiny new tank.

Looks great though, can't wait to see it finished.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

very nice paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          ......and take all the nice new shiny bits back off, at least the tank, and put them away so something stupid doesn't happened to them during the process. Like dropping a gas cap on your shiny new tank.

Looks great though, can't wait to see it finished.
          I'm with you on that. Kind of doing the process backwards but I couldn't help myself.
          sigpic

Comment

Looks great. Painted mine this past spring. What paint did you end up going with?
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              Looks great. Painted mine this past spring. What paint did you end up going with?
              Yes, I followed your paint job. I especially liked that your were able to do the project with your dad. Also as I believe I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum, your blacked out wheels inspired me to do the same on my first two 1100's and I will do them on this bike also.

I took the side covers I got from Rob S (which I think were original) to the paint shop to match. I can provide the formula if anyone wants it. I then added some blue pearl and a tiny pinch of crystal pearl in the clear coat for a little extra pop in the right lighting. The result is quite beautiful. I just can't get a photo from my Iphone to adequately show it.
              sigpic

Comment

For the photo you have to push it out in sun. Artificial light just doesn't work on metallic snd especially pearl.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                  Yes, I followed your paint job. I especially liked that your were able to do the project with your dad. Also as I believe I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum, your blacked out wheels inspired me to do the same on my first two 1100's and I will do them on this bike also.

I took the side covers I got from Rob S (which I think were original) to the paint shop to match. I can provide the formula if anyone wants it. I then added some blue pearl and a tiny pinch of crystal pearl in the clear coat for a little extra pop in the right lighting. The result is quite beautiful. I just can't get a photo from my Iphone to adequately show it.
                  That's cool that you followed my thread, I will tell my dad he helped someone else paint their bike. And yes I was happy that I got to do that with my dad. Thanks
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    For the photo you have to push it out in sun. Artificial light just doesn't work on metallic snd especially pearl.
                    Here's one in the sun. In person though, the pearl glows on the surfaces that face the source of light and the other surfaces like the top of the tank in this picture are very dark giving it a two tone appearance much richer than what you see here. I'm sure a good camera would help.

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful.
                      1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Very nice...a little more flake than mine I think
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          Very nice...a little more flake than mine I think
                          Yes, but I love the result you achieved. Gives me something to shoot for. What a great job you did clearing over the decal! Glass!
                          sigpic

Comment

I was all ready to go for the first test ride. She sounds mean as hell and when you twist the throttle the tach jumps like she's anxious to go--no bogging. Hoping I got it right. Gear on, pull in the clutch, pop it into first and...clunk-lurch-dead. The clutch does not work at all. Big sigh! Now I get to learn about the clutch--woo hoo.

Before and after so far--still going to paint some engine parts, get decals, and have to make a bracket for the exhaust. It will hit the axle if I bolt it behind the peg bracket where it is supposed to go:
                            Last edited by glib; 04-02-2016, 12:57 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Got the clutch sorted out and installed the jet kit and got the pipe mounted properly (no zip ties) and I reinstalled the handlebar end which is missing in the pictures. Finally got my first ride. This is noticeably faster than my ES with it's stock airbox, jetting and exhaust. It's much louder and has a mean burble when you come off the throttle. My neighbor, who loves racing, said it sounded "sick" and "bad ass." So I guess it's just about ready for a new owner. I think $2,600 is fair once the braided lines and decals are added. We'll see what the market will bear.

(I tried high temp paint on the exhaust, followed the instructions for curing but it already started peeling near the top bend--oh well).

Last edited by glib; 04-03-2016, 11:28 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X