No announcement yet.

1981 gs750 (gs750e) Retro Racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired up the ignition to test if the engine would start. It didn't, and the left coil got extremely hot. I won't bother with any troubleshooting, as I've already bought a set of Dyna coils because of the worn out plug wires and bad looking OEM coils: Does anyone have any experience with Dyna coils? They came with plug wires that you have to cut and terminate yourself, but I guess I can just buy ready made plug wires with the right length? Do plug wires differ in resistance or anything like that?

Old vs. New:

Comment

Wired up the coils and shortened the spark wires

Also bought new spark plugs:

The old ones where the plugs that are intednded for the 8valve engine. The main difference I could spot is that they have extra internal resistance for noise suppression. Does it matter which one I use?

Comment

Btw, the reason that the bike didn't start yesterday was probably a bad connection from the egnition, leading to the coil not discharging. Probably got damaged while the bikes was in storage. Runs well now

Comment

Originally posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
          Wired up the coils and shortened the spark wires

Also bought new spark plugs:

The old ones where the plugs that are intednded for the 8valve engine. The main difference I could spot is that they have extra internal resistance for noise suppression. Does it matter which one I use?
          If you're using unsuppressed leads and caps, it's probably better to use resistor plugs.
          The ignition system was designed to work with 5Kohm of resistance per plug (or in the cap).
          Now, some will say they're running without resistance at all, and that's fine for them, I don't like to take the chance of shortening the life of my ignitor by running with no resistance.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

If you're using unsuppressed leads and caps, it's probably better to use resistor plugs.
            The ignition system was designed to work with 5Kohm of resistance per plug (or in the cap).
            Now, some will say they're running without resistance at all, and that's fine for them, I don't like to take the chance of shortening the life of my ignitor by running with no resistance.
            Does that apply to the gs750 E (16 valve) or GSX 750, as it's called in Europe? I couldn't find out if it did, as the gs750 (8 valve) originally came with R plug, and the gsx750 came with no risistance plugs. The service manual for my bike, lists D8EA as the right plug.

Comment

The 8-valve didn't originally come with a resistor plug, as far as I know - it had resistor caps of 5Kohm. The plug was the fairly universal 14mm B8ES.
              Plugs I find listed for the 16-valve engine are, as you say, non-resistor too (12mm D8EA), but I'd be surprised if there was no resistor in the caps.
              I'd download a manual and find out for certain - you can run it any way you like and it might not cause a problem, but better to be sure.
              Several members here are (or have) run them, so somebody who knows for sure can chime in.
              ---- Dave
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

The 8-valve didn't originally come with a resistor plug, as far as I know - it had resistor caps of 5Kohm. The plug was the fairly universal 14mm B8ES.
                Plugs I find listed for the 16-valve engine are, as you say, non-resistor too (12mm D8EA), but I'd be surprised if there was no resistor in the caps.
                I'd download a manual and find out for certain - you can run it any way you like and it might not cause a problem, but better to be sure.
                Several members here are (or have) run them, so somebody who knows for sure can chime in.
                Checked the old caps, and they are 5Kohm NGKs. Descided to measure them, and this is the result:

35Kohm seems like the logical explanaition for the hot coil. The numbering is not cylinder-number, so both 8 and 35 could be on the same coil. Measured the new wires, and they are about 1Kohm, which I believe is pretty standard for about 30cm/1foot of wire. I'll run the new plugs for now, and buy resistor plugs later.

Comment

These are the rearsets I made a few years back, and I'm looking forward to finally try them out:

I'll use the old gear lever at the front, and connect the linkage on the inside. At the back, I'll connect at the outside of the lever:

Comment

Measured the new wires, and they are about 1Kohm, which I believe is pretty standard for about 30cm/1foot of wire. I'll run the new plugs for now, and buy resistor plugs later.
                    What type of ignition wire? If it's carbon-cored, be aware they tend to give up after a while, with bad results.
                    The standard wire is copper-cored, which is why the caps (or plugs) have the resistor included.
                    The 1K per foot makes me suspect those are resistance leads, so worth being aware of the state of them.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

What type of ignition wire? If it's carbon-cored, be aware they tend to give up after a while, with bad results.
                      The standard wire is copper-cored, which is why the caps (or plugs) have the resistor included.
                      The 1K per foot makes me suspect those are resistance leads, so worth being aware of the state of them.
                      The wires have a stranded copper core, and measure the same resistance with or without the Dynatek cap. From what I can see on the internet, 1Kohm pr foot is not uncommon for copper-core wires.

Comment

The wires have a stranded copper core, and measure the same resistance with or without the Dynatek cap. From what I can see on the internet, 1Kohm pr foot is not uncommon for copper-core wires.
                        You're either measuring it wrong or you don't have copper-cored leads.
                        A proper resistance for copper-cored leads is less than 0.1Ohm per metre.
                        I've just measured 4m of lead and got 0.3Ohm.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

You're either measuring it wrong or you don't have copper-cored leads.
                          A proper resistance for copper-cored leads is less than 0.1Ohm per metre.
                          I've just measured 4m of lead and got 0.3Ohm.
                          I might have measured wrong, somehow. I agree with you that there's no reason for copper wire to have som much resistance. Either way, I'm leaving this for the time being. There's som many other things to do

Comment

Today I mounted a new OEM clutch cable. The old one was so worn, that I almost had to use two hands to clamp down the lever.. The new cable was about 10cm shorter than the old one, so maybe one of them wasn't exactly the right cable. I needed a shorter one, so that suited me well anyway.

I noticed earlier that my rear master cylinder was leaking. Took it off today, and it has definitely reached end of life I searched the net for a replacement, but it seems that all the well known brands mostly produce them in 40mm and sometimes 50mm (center to center measurement for the mounting holes). I had another one lying around, which is also 40mm, and for now I'll make a bracket and mount that one.

I've also had some problems with the watherpack connectors I use. I replaced most of them with other automotive connector, but I wamt to be sure that some of the connecctions are waterproof (e.g ignitionc etc.). According to most people the newer DEUTSCH connectors are a much better option for weatherproofing. I allready have the tools, as I don't mind double-crimping.

Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 07-11-2023, 05:01 AM.

Comment

I'm also contemplating on putting a hugger/rear fender on the swingarm, to keep mud and dirt from spraying all over. Did this on my old Kawasaki Ninja, and it makes a big difference. As it hugges the rear tyre pretty tight it doesn't take away too much from the design either. Does anyone now of any aftermarket fenders/huggers that will fit, or any second hand fenders that kan be modded and mounted on the swingarm?

Comment

With the throttle and clutch going, I'm fokusing on brakes (standard order of priority ). The brake pads that came with my calipers are the EBC FA379HH Double-H Sintered pads. They are quality pads with good reviews, and I'll stick with them.

I have an unused set of steel braided brake lines that I bought for the original fork. It's a setup with three lines, and they are far too long for the new short fork and clip ons.
                                The two long ones measure 62cm, and that's enough for making a cross over setup, like this:

I will route the front left brake line over the Ducati fender: It looks like this, but I've drilled out the rivets. I'll have to make new fender stands as my front tyre is 19" vs the Ducatis 17".

​​

​​

Comment

Working...
                                X