No announcement yet.

1981 gs750 (gs750e) Retro Racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just scuffing the finish with a Scotchbrite pad won't open it to the elements. It will only dull the shine...but use a grey one, a red one will be too course.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
      Just scuffing the finish with a Scotchbrite pad won't open it to the elements. It will only dull the shine...but use a grey one, a red one will be too course.
      Will see if I can find those. I only have red now..

Comment

Getting closer every day

IMG_20170708_231958_149 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Had some unexpected things happen at work last year so I had to put the bike on the shelf for a while. As I now have rest of the winter to finish it I decided to go for a fork swap. Bought this 2005 gsxr750 fork with brake disks on ebay and I'm going to order a new hub from cognitomoto to fit a 3,5" rim.

gafler by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr
          Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 01-31-2018, 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

1981 gs750 (gs750e) Rat Racer usd fork (switched to flickr on page 8)

And these are the rotors

bremseskiver by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr
            Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 02-03-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Just looking back through your thread again, I've been not doing much with my 77' until now. I noticed you painted your engine silver and it looks really good! Did you use a spray gun? Biltema's spray can has something to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by jibledso View Post
                Just looking back through your thread again, I've been not doing much with my 77' until now. I noticed you painted your engine silver and it looks really good! Did you use a spray gun? Biltema's spray can has something to be desired.
                Well I did use Biltema spraycan. They have two different types; Utbedringslakk and Hobbylakk. Hobbylakk is crap, but Utbedringslakk is quite good. Several people i know has painted their engine with it and it holds up. I do have a spraygun and compressor though, but I have to rig a room to use it. We'll see how it turns out

Comment

Have been working on some parts lately. This is a Motogadget Mini speedometer mounted in the headlight:

Motogadget embedded in headlight by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

And these are some nearly finished rearsets

IMG_20180328_203355 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_20180328_123910 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Rearsets testing. Needs better finish and some adjustments

2018-05-22 23.09.51 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

You sir, definitely have some impressive fabrication skills.
                        sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
                          You sir, definitely have some impressive fabrication skills.
                          Well thank you😊. Now I'm struggling to descide between powdercoating the rearsets black or leaving them as is.

Comment

Looks just like the Tazzios! Well done!

Comment

Had a go with the sodablaster today. Impressed with how clean an dry the surface is afterwards. Washed the pan in diesel first then blasted it. Gave it a coat of BMW grey to finish it off.

With paint by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Time for updates.. Got the engine together today. Was a bit of a hassle bechause previous owners had ruined the threads on almost half of the 20 bolts on the valve cover. That will be a task for later, to fix the threads and get a set of new suzuki bolts.

I ordered a set of oversize oil drain plug and tap, becuase there was no more threads left in the pan. This seems to be the story of the engine, there are broken threads everywhere. Two of the exhausts bolt threads are also gone. More people should learn to use a torque wrench.. :/

Here is the new fancy bolt:

Oil drain plug magnet by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Oil drain plug by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

I sodablasted the whole engine and masked off the already painted covers before I sprayed the rest of the engine. I think the stainless hexbolt set look pretty good

Paint and stainless bolts by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

The gasket set was missing one, so I made it.. close enough

Homemade gasket by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X