Kick start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick start

To all you restorers, is it possible to put a kick start on an 82 gs850g which is an electric start. If so, what and how would I do that. I know some bikes have both. Just don't know if Suzuki had it?????????

If your 850 still has the place for the kickstarter in the engine cases and clutch cover, just get the parts from a '79. Starter and all of it's little pieces, and the '79 clutch cover. The '79 850 had a kickstarter, but it's the only year that came with it. If it doesn't, get an engine from a '79. Possible you may have the cases that will work, but not the clutch cover. I think they did that for a year or two. It's also possible that you have the early cases but the machine work wasn't done for the kickstarter to go there. Show us a picture of the right side of your engine?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just checked, on the '82 it's all changed, different engine cases, the kickstarter won't fit at all. Just buy a whole '79 engine. Could be an '81 registered as an '82? If so it should all fit.

Comment

I seem to recall from reading about this subject in older threads that it is possible to add the kickstarter, but you need a bunch of parts from a '79 and have to split the engine cases to install everything. Way more trouble than it's worth (not to mention adding even more weight).
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have a kickstarter on my 550 and 750 both, the only time I've used it in decades is to turn the engine slowly to set the timing. I would install one if i intended to remove the starter and the battery to save weight or some such BS, but touching the button for an instant is soooo much easier.

It was kind of cool in the old days to sit next to a guy kicking away on his hog with huge jumps up in the air and coming down with all his might on his massive kickstarter, over and over again to no avail. Sit there and watch him flail for a minute or two then start my 750 with one finger on the kickstarter, just swing it through once easy as pie and it's idling already. Especially fun if they had just rudely informed me I should get a real motorcycle.

But anymore there's no point in it, few of them would even know what a kickstarter was.

Comment

Thanks to all,
            I think I'll just leave well enough alone. Sounds like too much work to be worth while, unless I find a 79.. Thanks again

Comment

I think half that amount of time and money spent on the electric leg system would pay off.
              I had notions about the back up start as well and maybe a bit of nostalgia for the old days of weak charging systems and small batteries.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Or you could switch to a modern charging system, maintain it well and use a strong battery. Up to you.

Comment

Also a good reason to NOT live in Kansas or Saskatchewan. Both of those places are so flat, you won't find a hill to bump start your bike.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
                  X