No announcement yet.

GSX400E Project Suzzie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darn. I thought we were going to get some outside shots. Seriously, though, you should be very proud of the way that bike turned out. For those of us that have been following along all these months, it's nice to see the end results. Nicely done.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
      The tach needle support bearings usually have a glob of some sort of [silicone?] jelly that acts as a damper. This can need some waking up. My tach has no damping left at all and will swing past on shifts.
      Thanks John. Hope to fix it down the road or at best find another.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
        Darn. I thought we were going to get some outside shots. Seriously, though, you should be very proud of the way that bike turned out. For those of us that have been following along all these months, it's nice to see the end results. Nicely done.
        In the plans but tied up until the weekend.

Thank you for the nice compliment. Appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          ..aah so! ...the "plastic paint" is a newish product I have tried on other things and seems very good....I am so Jealous!! I really should tart my bike up a bit but that would just make yours look better, I fear!
          Keeping them on the road is all that matters.

Comment

So, I have the original welt moulding that covered the fairing and around the wind screen. I would like to use it on the wind screen only, not down the fairing. Mounding is in great shape however I doubt if it will stay on without some sort of adhesive.

Any recommendations? Was thinking clear silicone but not a big fan.

TIA

Comment

The 1000S uses U-shaped black trim around the windscreen that stays in place without use of adhesive. If you are going to use RTV get the type that's an adhesive, not just a sealant.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks.

Found some flexible rubber trim on fleabay that is the same size. I'll try that before cutting up the moulding I have now. Never find another.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                  Thanks.

Found some flexible rubber trim on fleabay that is the same size. I'll try that before cutting up the moulding I have now. Never find another.

Didnt work, fail. lol.

Comment

What a hoot! Had to adjust up the clutch cable but running fantastic. I was surprised at the low gearing, reminds me of a Honda CB350 F I once had. This is going to be fun around town.

The tachometer sweeps slow or at least it appears so. It could just be me but until I'm certain I would like to put a rpm meter on it and compare the two. Would hate to over rev and do damage.

Can I get a signal from the signal generator on the right side for a rpm reading?

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                      What a hoot! Had to adjust up the clutch cable but running fantastic. I was surprised at the low gearing, reminds me of a Honda CB350 F I once had. This is going to be fun around town.

The tachometer sweeps slow or at least it appears so. It could just be me but until I'm certain I would like to put a rpm meter on it and compare the two. Would hate to over rev and do damage.

Can I get a signal from the signal generator on the right side for a rpm reading?

TIA
                      You'll notice this motor kicks in noticeably at about 6500 rpm; at 6 it's just leaving the pre cam section and by 7 it's doing its stuff. It will have peaked by 9500 and after that it's just spinning faster. If you want to wind it out without worrying, just take it to where the power kicks in and shift when the speedo reads 50% higher. Given the short stroke and four valve configuration, I'd estimate that the mechanical redline is way higher than the power peak. There's usually a resonance peak at about 9000 above which it smooths out and loses interest in going faster.

That tach may need some more waking up; don't give up on it yet. I once bought a low mileage car for cheap that had been sitting a long time; the salesman was offing it because the tach and speedo were inoperative. I took it for a test drive and when it got to highway speed I punched the dash really hard and the both sprang up to action. Paid the man his asking price and drove it for years. Both gauges were a little sluggish for a few months...
                      '82 GS450T

Comment

Hey Good idea! repoort back! But I expect you might have to divide by 2 or something...(brain not there just now)
                        One thing, I've had no luck with ebay induction rev counters....they work on cars, and four-cylinder bikes but Fail on my 2 cylinder..not made for it?

A personal and general comment, for what it's worth, is that Tachometers are useless. Sound is the biggest Clue altogether. Looking down is never good anyways and if so, speedo is the one that works as well for changes anyways- is more accurate. and easily tested... (I like my Suzuki Gear Number Indicator though I'm not sure why I just like it and miss it on Hondas...)

Plus, tachometers vary...I have two GSX 400's and think they are both guessing, for sure...35 year old steel spinning magnet (steel can lose field) versus spring on needle? ..meh! I think not...When one entirely wore out, I took the needle off so it is merely a placeholder on dash ...Unlikely I could ever stand redline in sound pitch and "oh-my-poor-motorcyle!" stress.

That said, general rambling so ...at your peril per lost time
                        I don't find much practical happening beyond (what appears to be!) 7000 myself and bike seems really good altogether...between 5-7 That's the happy place. very narrow but ok with a 6 speed gearbox.....I can shift at (ahem) "5000 "and will shift then. Shifting down at 4500, 4000 because it feels better for re-accelerating 3rd gear and beyond...but bike does well anywhere if you wait just a little longer. Heavier people or two-up riders or track riders could call me stupid though...and admit that going up through 4 gears from 2nd at "7000" is conceiveable even to me when I'm frisky and indeed....maybe what a track rider would expect from the bike? hard to type that whiny sound, but I don't think I make it much!!!!

Of course, in 6th, I soon run out and rpm is all that's left. so, looking at much time above 70mph- That's when I'm thinking ..."I wish I'd brought the 650 instead and can appreciate popularity of the 850 even more..."

A notable difference from my 650 which suprising to me can be at 3500 at I think it's "singing". I want to shift! I expected opposite for some reason...torqueing on two, winding on a 4

Comment

runeight- maybe one of these? hand-held Mechanical Rotation counter...I have an antique one kicking around. Held onto the crank shaft at pick-up side, might be best of all.

Hand-Held Mechanical Tachometer

Comment

Grominrider- agree with listening to the motor versus looking down. Even with the Ducati I listened more than looking.

I have a tester that reads 4, 6 and 8. The reason I asked if I could get it somewhere else is I can't reach the coils with the tank on. Not removing it either.

John- agree with you also. The first ride was easy peezy to let everything soak in. Looking forward to my next spin. This thing is a hoot!

I installed the wind screen trim, looks fantasic. I'll get some pics posted next time I fire up the laptop. Can't link PB to here using my iPad.

Thanks guys.

Comment

I had the oem trim for the windscreen and cowl but prefer the cowl had none, only the screen. Problem was the trim didn't fit snug. I was going to use adhesive but figured that would be a big mess when I pressed it on.

How can I do this? After much pondering and a few cocktails the light came on. Ah, right on the peg board.

I set the jaws just a tad less than the width of the molding working it just a little each time. Worked very well as the core of the trim is metal.

Much better.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

A couple of early morning pictures. Sun was still low, no trim on the screen when taken. I'll get more in the future, not the best.

Getting closer to the door.

After test ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X