No announcement yet.

GSX400E Project Suzzie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you can see this footrest/shifter holder has been rewelded from damage. Welded crooked too. Shifter arm was a mess.

So, sourced the footrest bracket out of Isreal and the shifter arm from the UK. Bolt was ordered in the States.

Much better, final adjustment later.

Comment

Looking good!That is not the Champagne silver,that has a more yellow hue.Though I had the Suzuki colour chart somewhere,can't find it

Comment

No worries but good to know. I'm not a fan of Silver motorcycles so I'm leaning towards Red.

It would match the car and the Ducati.

Comment

Can someone verify the length of the right mirror mount? I believe this to be the wrong one for the 400cc model. 450 models might be the same. Length is 25 mm.

Test fitted mirrors and the right sits higher than the left. I might have to source the correct one once I verify the length.

TIA.

Comment

Judging by the look of the shift lever and also the duller paint on it, I'd suspect that the clutch lever assy has been replaced with an earlier T model one. Finding the original perch could be tough. Modern Motorcycle in Vancouver would be a place to start; may even exist from Suzuki Canada. Europe [probably] also got this model. It's pretty hard to find one at a wreckers as they're the first part out the door, and usually pooched when they arrive.

You could cut down the right one to match - and get a better view of your elbows.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

So what you are saying it's the mount on the left that is wrong and not the right, correct?

The mirror mount it's self might turn up but agree on the perch.

Comment

I've never seen a set of mirrors like that on a GSx400 . OTOH, the Department of Continual Improvement managed to keep the design guys busy by changing some of the peripheral bits every year, just like in cars. Nobody cared or noticed but it gave them some paper to ponder at their desks when the bosses came by. So the rhs may be a one year wonder. Or off a Kawasaki.

Something about the angle at the top of the brake side mirror mount looks non GS to me, and the ones we got had a cast reservoir with a little round sight window. This could make finding what it came off of and finding the corresponding left rather a challenge. The clutch side you have is standard 450 L or T.

If it were mine, I'd just get a master cylinder from a 450 and a set of the old original GS mirrors that you can actually see with and enjoy the view. I've never found rectangular mirrors to be a better idea. There are places for styling; mirrors isn't one of them.
                '82 GS450T

Comment

I did some meausuring and cutting down the right side would not allow much thread for the mirror. I did try spacers and what not only to scream "it looks like shid" while running around the Shop.

Who knows the history. The bike has been thru a crazy don't give a shid Nephew. I believe the reservoir is correct and has just been completely rebuilt (yesterday) so sourcing another is a no go. I do believe the mirror bracket is wrong. The chain guard is not correct according to the invoice I have from 1991. So yes, things were replaced from whatever.

For now I dug in the Ducati spare parts box and found a 10 mm mount that puts the mirrors within 2 mm by the tape. Not exact by any means but a lot better to look at. Yeah, need to source some different mirrors, not a rectangular guy. Just something else to ponder.

Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Starting on the front forks this week.

Need to remove the headlight ears, in pretty snug. I assume you have to loosen the top tree for some wiggle room. Might as well drop it and check things out.

Comment

Yuk!

And not much in them either.

New parts awaiting install.

Comment

OK, tips

Looking at the diagram it shows a retaining ring surrounding the air valve. I don't see this on mine. (25)

I also assume that the air valve should be loosened or removed first to replace the O ring. (27)

Now, this is a 83 model. My shop manual doesn't show this fork.

Once the forks are pulled apart is reassembly done without removing the top? Not familiar with this fork setup so seeking tips.

Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2016, 07:56 PM. Reason: Added text

Comment

Item 25 is not an O ring. I can see what appears to be a small ring but good lord, don't see how it comes out. Wondering if the top even has to be removed.

Paging for instructions for a 1982 GSX400E, Canadian model service manual.

Comment

When I did the forks on my 81 GS650E they had that same wire type retainer on the top.So did the forks on my 85 750 forks.Press down #24 and you will see it.Be prepared for a struggle if it's at all rusty and maybe even if it's not.If you can remove the air fitting so much the better.You will do a better refilling job with the top off.

Comment

Forks are clean. When pushing down its against the spring. That will not be easy I would think.

I'll have to remove the valve to replace the O rings. I'll give it a go and get back with you. Thanks.

Comment

Anyone else rebuild this style of fork?

Comment

Working...
                                X