78 750 to 850cc Vintage Street / Track theme build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
    As far as the carbs Chuck, these were only available on the slabside 85-87 GSXR 750's in Canada and everywhere else in the world except you guys in the US, (emission reasons possibly?)

I mounted these carbs on the 850 head that came with the 83 850cc engine which has 34mm intake ports and roughly 32mm intake manifolds, some people have told me that the 34mm head only came on gs1000's?

Again I am not sure what you guys got compared to the rest of the world, the 2 inner carbs line up perfectly while the 2 outer's have to be moved, My machinist also moved the throttle linkage to the middle instead of between carbs 3-4 giving me more clearance for the stock center push / pull throttle cables / linkage. He also drilled and tapped a hole for me to use both accelerator pump's from my second set of parts carbs.

Agemax should come along soon with some more info about these carbs. He and Robert Barr put together an O-ring rebuild kit for these carbs. I will try and take some more pics and basic measurement's as far as carb spacing between the stock Vm29ss GSXR Slabside layout and the re-spaced ones my machinist did.

Again, I do not recommend to try and re-space carb rack linkages yourself unless you are a qualified machinist. Without proper professional machinst tools / taps / calipers' etc, it is very easy to screw up the spacing.

I'll post some more pics of the carbs / spacing within the next couple days as well as the rear sets and brackets I will fabricate.
    Hey man great build, can I ask why you just didn't go with the 850 carbs or even 1000cc carbs if you need increased fuel demands and jet accordingly?

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
      Hey man great build, can I ask why you just didn't go with the 850 carbs or even 1000cc carbs if you need increased fuel demands and jet accordingly?
      I assume for the same reasons Suzuki didn't continue to use BS32 carbs in the mid to late 1980's, flatslides are better for performance.
      I don't believe those are smoothbores, but they appear to be direct linkage non-CV flatsludes, which isn't the most common setup to find here in the US. non-CV's are best for all out performance but require a well versed rider's appropriate throttle input to keep the velocity and engine e response in it's peak efficiemcy/power sweet spot. CV carbs have butterfly valves that restrict the middle of the venturi, and then a airflow sensitive spring loaded slide that moves up on its own based on airflow velocity and pressure differential. With the manual slide carbs, the venturi is unobstructed and the rider is left to have 100% control of slide position.

When whacking throttle wide open on a CV, you open the butterflies fully, but they are still blocking through throat in the middle, and the slide is left to open at its own rate based on airflow, air port size and engine vacuum, and spring tension. On a direct linkage carb, you can open the throttle and monitor engine sound and power output and optimize it yourself. Too much opening of the directly attached carb slide will kill your velocity and lead to poor performance until the engine catches up or you back off to its sweet spot.
      More user input required but with that the ultimate performance can be gained. Constant engine feedback and rider wrist input is required though.
      Last edited by Chuck78; 02-19-2016, 04:02 PM.
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
        I assume for the same reasons Suzuki didn't continue to use BS32 carbs in the mid to late 1980's, flats lies are better for performance.
        I don't believe those are smoothbores, but they appear to be direct linkage non-CV flatsludes, which isn't the most common setup to find here in the US. non-CV's are best for all out performance but require a well versed rider's appropriate throttle input to keep the velocity and engine e response in it's peak efficiemcy/power sweet spot. CV carbs have butterfly valves that restrict the middle of the venturi, and then a airflow sensitive spring loaded slide that moves up on its own based on airflow velocity and pressure differential. With the manual slide carbs, the venturi is unobstructed and the rider is left to have 100% control of slide position.

When whacking throttle wide open on a CV, you open the butterflies fully, but they are still blocking through throat in the middle, and the slide is left to open at its own rate based on airflow, air port size and engine vacuum, and spring tension. On a direct linkage carb, you can open the throttle and monitor engine sound and power output and optimize it yourself. Too much opening of the directly attached carb slide will kill your velocity and lead to poor performance until the engine catches up or you back off to its sweet spot.
        More user input required but with that the ultimate performance can be gained. Constant engine feedback and rider wrist input is required though.

Couldn't have said it any better Chuck, their easier to tune with pods as opposed to CV as well.

Comment

The creativity and skills by the members here never ceases to amaze me. This is a great build and documentation. Thanks.
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

bought some R1 rear sets, $100 Canadian

Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Comment

Quick mock up with zip ties,I'll have them mounted before the end of the week,

Going to make sure that I can still use the kickstarter

Comment

Rear sets done, will have to get a shorter female shift rod in the future but for now their perfect, cutting down my seat foam and getting it re-done to help ergonomics

Comment

I needed a manual cam chain tensioner and the only one available is around $140 can. through SPS. So, I decided to fabricate my own with the help of my machinist, here are some pics, It is basically a ground down automatic tensioner with a 7/16 fine threaded rod with a silver soldered nut machined down exactly identical to the OEM one,
                    It also has an E5 female Torx stud tapped / locktited and peened over at the end of the threaded rod for adjustment and carb clearance. I could not find a bolt long enough / threaded all the way to the end and my machinist did not recommend to tap one .

Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2016, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Comment

here she is!

Comment

Link no work
                          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I'll take some pics tomorrow then and post them up, maybe this will work

New-User-Questions MUST be answered before your membership request is approved. Failure to answer these SIMPLE questions will result in your request to join being REJECTED. GS750 forum for...
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X