79' GS550e Project--Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79' GS550e Project--Need Help!

I'm working on a project bike and just realized that my frame is off/bent.....In the pic I attached, you can see that the seat is leaning to the left a bit. I'll attach another photo as well to show the bummed left rear shock. The only options I know of are 1) Get it replaced 2) Go and get the frame realigned. Getting the frame fixed will probably be around $700. What do you guys think?
    Attached Files

Shock photo
    Attached Files

Comment

There's certainly something wrong there. I think you need to remove the seat and measure both sides to see where the problem is, and how bad it is. If it's not obvious, try swapping the rear shocks. See if the problem re-occurs on the right of the bike.

Not sure how titles and such work where you are, but a legal frame has got to be less than $700.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Take the rear tire and shocks off and then measure from the center of the axle to the upper shock stud center.
        Do it in a few positions, somewhere around 13", then over extended, like 17-20 inches, then swingarm compressed, like 10 inches or however far the bike will squat. See if the axle to shock mount measurement stays the same on both sides.
        . See if the swingarm moves smoothly with no shocks and tire on.
        Those are a couple simple measurements you can take help you see how close things are and by getting the tire and shocks out of the way and the seat you'll have a better view to eyeball what's going on.
        Definitely get that bad shock off of there.
        I'm sure there are a variety of measurements you can come up with along with eyeballing to see where the frame discrepancias.

Comment

I suspect most of the problem is in the swing arm. If you can't figure it out get the frame measured to be sure it's square.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like it's mostly the swing arm but the frame might be bent too. As crooked as that one is, it should be easy to figure out what is bent.

Frames are cheap, even a frame with a good title it won't cost much to replace it. I may have a 550 frame left, can't remember. All of the parts can be swapped over in a day, it's no big deal. Check your replacement frame for crash damage, they get bent around the front down tubes and the steering head sometimes, and around the rear hoop if it got rear ended, but it takes a pretty fair crash.

$700 to fix a frame is crazy talk.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys. I was hoping it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get going. I honestly thought I could find a frame pretty easily but it's harder than I thought. TKent02, would you have an extra that I can buy from you?

Comment

when I lived in Arizona there was a very reasonable guy, Fast Frames (or something like that) in Mesa AZ that straightened wheels and frames for lots of us.

Comment

Don't spend $700 to get the frame straightened

You can get another bike for that much
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by JayT View Post
                    TKent02, would you have an extra that I can buy from you?
                    Sorry I went riding and forgot all about looking for the frame. I think I have one 550E frame and one 550L frame, but I'll have to check tomorrow.

I shipped a frame by Greyhound a couple years ago, it wasn't too expensive.

Comment

Ok that's fine! Just let me know! A replacement would help out a lot. I can't seem to find one on eBay or anything.

Comment

OK, I have one 550 frame left back there....

Comment

Still thinking....

Hey guys, I've had some time back here with the bike (false hope maybe) and I'm still wondering if this frame can be saved? I found some level ground to put the bike on and I had to find out one more time. The swingarm is definitely not level. But this lean is inevitable?
                          Attached Files

Comment

another photo
                            Attached Files

Comment

and last one
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X