No announcement yet.

1982 GS550M Katana Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workshop is getting a little messy... but messes mean progress!!

I was able to get my old, cracked tires off the rims... and removed the wheel bearings in preparation for cleaning...

Right now I'm just planning on cleaning and polishing the wheels... I'll see how they look from there... they seem to be in good shape and once I realized they were supposed to be grey and weren't just faded black I think they'll look good...

But the biggest news of the day is.... I got all of my parts back from Powder Coating today!!!!! I'll admit I stood and stared at them for a while... I went with a color called "Parcor Black"... which is perfect... it's basically satin with a fancy name... but it's exactly the level of shine I wanted... love it!

Comment

So I've never seen one of these bikes in good original condition so I have no real idea the exact color the calipers, rotors etc are supposed to be... I gave my Powder Coat guy the Dupli-Color paint can I planned to use as a reference... He admits, and I agree, that the parts came out a little more orange then the paint... however they do seem to match ok against the Suzuki sticker on my original tank... He's willing to redo if I want... but I'd hate to make him do that if I don't have to... Are the parts supposed to be more red? or more of an orange? Any insight would be helpful Either way they look great!!!
      Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Nice work on the instrument cluster, Mike.
        $150.00 or so for the frame?

After seeing this post from the Kat site, Google Ral2002 blood orange for a color comparison.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Nice work on the instrument cluster, Mike.
          $150.00 or so for the frame?

After seeing this post from the Kat site, Google Ral2002 blood orange for a color comparison.
          http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/fo...3d9eb3a5834b80
          Thank you for the color reference... I'll admit I keep forgetting about the Kat site.... and thank you... I'm trying my best to salvage what I can but I don't want it to look off ya know...

I paid $500 for all of the powder coating... I thought that was reasonable given the time saved and the longevity of the finish over paint

Comment

Welcome to the forum. It is always great to see another kat being saved and returned to former glory. Keep up the good work.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

So while digging through part parts bags I realized I never sent the top handlebar clamps to the powder coater.... ugh.

I'll be dropping those off to be done... while I'm at it I think I'm going to have to get the calipers and rotors done over... I was trying to like the color but it's just too orange... A slight setback but I have plenty to do... I was just hoping to have it in a roller by end of week...

I got some more parts in and have been working to keep it all organized...

Moving on I got the first few new parts on the bike... first up was steering head bearings...

Got to use my new Harbor Freight bearing driver.... worked as advertised lol

Lower race in...

Center stand installed...

On the schematic there was a cushion that looks as though it is meant to stop the stand from hitting the frame... I bought it and can see that one end should be pushed into a hole somewhere... but for the life of me I can't figure out where lol

Any thoughts??? I can't find a hole anywhere to push it in to...

Kickstand installed... hey every little bit helps!!!

Comment

Got my new tires!!!! I went with Continentals... I've used them before... well not this model... but the brand... always had luck with them.

Next up!!! Swingarm bearings... My shop press came in real handy here... slid right in...

Spacers, washers and dust seals installed ready to be mounted!!! I ordered Hagon Shocks but may mock up the swingarm with the old shocks.... we'll see

Triple clamps installed... I got my Sonic Springs today so I'll build the forks tomorrow...

and as she sits now...

I heard from my motor guy too... looks like everything is in good shape... only a hone needed on the cylinders so I ordered a new set of standard rings...

Comment

Originally posted by mv577 View Post
                  On the schematic there was a cushion that looks as though it is meant to stop the stand from hitting the frame... I bought it and can see that one end should be pushed into a hole somewhere... but for the life of me I can't figure out where lol
                  bracket off the exhaust ?
                  1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

That rubber bushing should have a corresponding hole in the frame as its function is to prevent the center stand from rattling against the under side of the bike. Possibly goes somewhere on the swinger.

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post

That is correct.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
                        Ahhhhh!!! This would make sense since I never looked at the exhaust lol... I was checking the frame and swingarm... Thank you!

Comment

You are cranking this thing out! Everything is looking great.

Comment

I would love to get another one of these!
                            Have you thought of a GSXR/750 Katana engine?
                            I have ideas now for my 1127 project. Maybe need some 550 Katana bodywork.
                            Tnx
                            G
                            sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                            2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                            Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                            '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                              You are cranking this thing out! Everything is looking great.
                              Thank you!!! If I could work on this everyday I would!!! It's addicting!

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                                I would love to get another one of these!
                                Have you thought of a GSXR/750 Katana engine?
                                I have ideas now for my 1127 project. Maybe need some 550 Katana bodywork.
                                Tnx
                                G
                                I'm more of a Graveyard Cars kinda guy... meaning I like the idea of restoring back to stock... it's former glory!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X