Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bringing a 81 GS 550 E back to life and making it mine .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bringing a 81 GS 550 E back to life and making it mine .

Hi everyone ,

I recently purchased a 81 GS550 E , It was a personal import from the UK I'm told , so a European E not a Australian model .

Bike is unregistered and was non running with the air box and therefore the main electrics out of the bike , has a really dodgy looking seat on it and the stock gauges missing and the standard handlebars backwards kind of like clubmans .

So there is a few parts missing but not too bad for the price .

I spent a few days pulling the harness out and going through it to check connections and terminals , and have a cycle terminals kit to replace them all as they are really corroded .

The main thing was to check that it ran and a cheeky ride around my local streets to check , gearbox function etc.

It all went surprisingly well .

I have now done the majority of the wiring other than changing some more terminals and still needing to add some more earth wires as outlined by posplayr from the starter solenoid and regulator/rectifier to negative battery terminal, and finishing off the wiring to the rear brake and indicator lights when I get them ..I have also built a aluminium battery box and accessories underseat tray .

I have been lurking here since I got the GS and have read a amazing amount of posts and all the gems of information in them .

I'll leave it there for now and just add a image so you can see what I am dealing with

Cheers David .
    Attached Files

Superb ! Best bikes you can buy and another saved.
    I wish i had your knowledge of electrics as that is the area i am hopeless at.

this site saved mine with all the incredible info on tap.
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Thanks ukjules .

I wish I could say electrical is my strong point , but I get by .

Cheers

David

Comment

WP_20160404_11_07_41_Pro.jpgUpdate - after having a mountain bike accident - 90% healed now I have been ordering parts and have started the build , cut and welded in the frame loop .

Comment

WP_20160404_11_07_51_Pro.jpg

some old handle bars that were shortened fitted perfect

Comment

WP_20160404_11_12_16_Pro.jpg

fitted ready for welding

Comment

WP_20160404_12_32_14_Pro.jpg

loop welded .

Comment

spent the evening dismantling the bike and pulled the engine this morning .V__7EC7.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X